Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
20180329_181911.jpg
Done. 130000km and 16 months out of warranty.

Sean80

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV ute
Ok so i went down to holden today to book my ute in for diagnostics next thursday. The service manager informs me that i had the recall where they just add special grease to the terminals back in february 2016 and it has still failed. He said that holden will more than likely replace at their cost i just have to pay for the diagnostics to get the ball rolling. so fingers crossed holden cover it. warranty ran out january last year.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Did the dealer say your get your diagnostics fee refunded if the rack was at fault?

Really, you shouldn’t have to pay a diagnostics fee when the car flags a power steering issue and its a known fault with the steering rack that’s causing it.

Sean80

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV ute
Ok bit of an update holden dealership has diagnosed it as a faulty steering rack and sent a claim off to holden awaiting my reply tomorrow whether holden covers it fingers crossed

Sean80

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV ute
Did the dealer say your get your diagnostics fee refunded if the rack was at fault?

Really, you shouldn’t have to pay a diagnostics fee when the car flags a power steering issue and its a known fault with the steering rack that’s causing it.

The dealership said i can lodge a claim with holden for a refund of the diagnostic fee if they do indeed cover the cost of repairs

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Great to hear it’s going to be sorted... expect a free wheel alignment as part of the fix ;)

But as you can appreciate, this is a dangerous condition that should be managed via a recall. Best to lodge a complaint with DOTARS and hopefully with enough complaints, there will be a recall and all commodore owners can breath easier. Link to DOTARS is in this post.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Hi Guys I have the same error message on my driver information centre and loss of power steering. I rang local dealer says depend on the code being present , I know this is garbage since others here are getting the repairs done for gratis. The cost for the inspection is $149 and non refundable if the code is not present. The code is only there for 1 week but the Service Manager wasn't 100% sure of this. I have drafted a firmly worded letter via email to GM Holden Customer Service given them 7 days to cover the cost of the inspection and the repairs under Warranty. (Australian Consumer Law) My vehicle purchased 12/7/2013 so nearly 2 years out of manufacturers warranty. However this is a safety defect and therefore a major fault. Happy to provide copy of my letter to anyone here to use and get Holden to take responsibility.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hi Guys I have the same error message on my driver information centre and loss of power steering. I rang local dealer says depend on the code being present , I know this is garbage since others here are getting the repairs done for gratis. The cost for the inspection is $149 and non refundable if the code is not present. The code is only there for 1 week but the Service Manager wasn't 100% sure of this. I have drafted a firmly worded letter via email to GM Holden Customer Service given them 7 days to cover the cost of the inspection and the repairs under Warranty. (Australian Consumer Law) My vehicle purchased 12/7/2013 so nearly 2 years out of manufacturers warranty. However this is a safety defect and therefore a major fault. Happy to provide copy of my letter to anyone here to use and get Holden to take responsibility.
I'd like a copy for prosperity. Thanks.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Does anybody have a clear copy of the letter Holden sent out to VF owners in February 2015 about the loss of power steering? There's a few on the net already but all are poor quality and unreadable.
It would be a handy thing for anybody who has this fault to show the 'forgetful' folks at Holden that they should know exactly what loss of power steering means for a VF owner.