Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thanks for that feedback

Cashie- I am fairly worried. I entered a two lane round about to take a sharp left turn when it just cut out. Out of all the Holden’s I’ve ever had, this is the scariest problem I’ve faced.

I’ve sent Holden an email and will follow that up with phone call Monday morning and a booking with my local Holden dealership.

The assessor of my claim proves the scrape was very minor. I’ll still have a wheel alignment done but this is independent. Surely they don’t build cars these days to lose power steering after a hit to the wheels, which in my case was mild.

I need the problem sorted so I’ll get Holden to sort it then keep you updated on who foots the bill.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I’m not sure if it’s my own imagination, but it feels to me as thought our 2014 is pulling to the left, every now & again, more than it ever has before.
Problem is I may just be being over-sensitive. Unsure of whether it fixes itself, or if I’m just driving onto a chunk of road with less camber.

This can’t be anything to do with the faulty rack design, can it? The failure is either total or there’s no failure at all, innit?

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
I’m not sure if it’s my own imagination, but it feels to me as thought our 2014 is pulling to the left, every now & again, more than it ever has before.
Problem is I may just be being over-sensitive. Unsure of whether it fixes itself, or if I’m just driving onto a chunk of road with less camber.

This can’t be anything to do with the faulty rack design, can it? The failure is either total or there’s no failure at all, innit?

Forg, Over-sensitive.....surely not!

Haha.

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hi Forg- I had no issue or pre-warning whatsoever. Just imagine driving at speed then needing to use the steering wheel and it just shutting off with only being able to turn it with brute force. Those with less strength could end up in a pretty bad situation.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Happened to me in August with nearly the same result - scary as hell and I'm gladmy wife wasn't driving. Rack replaced by Holden for free. Apparently the connection to the electric steering corrodes and voila.
The preventative fix is a dab of goo over the connection point to prevent watet getting in... Holden don't do preventative maintenance it seems.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
had no issue or pre-warning whatsoever. Just imagine driving at speed then needing to use the steering wheel and it just shutting off with only being able to turn it
So how long until this issue kills someone? When the VF is 5 or 6 years old on their 3rd owner how often will this steering failure show up?

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Happened to me in August with nearly the same result - scary as hell and I'm gladmy wife wasn't driving. Rack replaced by Holden for free. Apparently the connection to the electric steering corrodes and voila.
The preventative fix is a dab of goo over the connection point to prevent watet getting in... Holden don't do preventative maintenance it seems.
Was yours out of warranty?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Interesting! If Holden are replacing steering racks in VF commodores without question than it must be a known problem. Lets hope it doesn't take a serious injury or death before Holden does the right thing and do a full recall to fix the problem correctly.

Sounds like someone who's had this problem needs to complain to the national watchdog agency.

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
After calling Holden Customer care- they said not to go through them but to book it into my local holden dealer.
Ive got it booked for about a weeks time. I will keep everybody posted.

If my partner was driving, and as it occurred, in the wet at speed with the steering wheel barely useable I am almost certain an accident would have occurred.

With Holden Customer Care stating my 2014 holden Calias was recalled and repaired- I told them obviously not good correctly. As part of the fault water gets into the electricals. This causes the electric steering to shut off when travelling at speed. This is exactly what happened. It was raining, ended up in a roundabout needing to take a sharp left then bang, no steering.

Lets see how Holden tries to get out of paying for this because its not under warranty by a handful of months.

National watchdog might be a good option- frankly I don't want the car if its even possible to lose steering and risk lives.