Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by KrisHolden, Nov 4, 2017.

1. NewbC4KE

NewbC4KE Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
    Service steering column lock on again.

Approximately 2.5 hours after the reprogram of module.

Awesome.

2. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @NewbC4KE the service steering lock is a different issue to power steering assistance failure.

Think of the first as an old style steering lock that gets bound up meaning you can’t turn the key. Think of the second issue as a power steering oil pump failure... fixing one does not fix the other ;)

Your power steer assistance failure should be fixed by replacing the rack. As the VF has an auto park feature, I’d expect a rack replacement would need some sort of calibration so it works as expected and you don’t end up on the footpath or worse. Maybe the service guys are calling this calibration process a reprogram of the module, I don’t know so best to ask them what they mean so you understand.

Maybe a change of behaviour could help with service steering lock issue. Before you start the car, move the wheel left and right feeling the limits of movement then place it in the centre of these limits and press the start button. This may help. If it doesn’t help then you may need the steering lock motor and pin looked at. As the lock may be tied to security measures, maybe this also needs some sort of calibration but I doubt a calibration would resolve a me handicap issue...

If you want to find out more about the finer points of servicing such components, search the forum for the VF workshop manual...

[edited to add link to thread containing link to manual]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    426Cuda likes this.
  3. revster

revster Active Member

Members Ride:
    30th Anniversary HSV Senator W557
    Not sure of the reality of this but just saw this on FB. "Keep your eye out in your mailbox over the coming weeks, Holden have released a recall on power steering racks for MY14-MY16 VF"
    "Ben Henshaw Nick Jankovski they are vin specific, but pretty much every vehicle between 14-16 get a revised rack motor, steering angle sensor and wiring harness" I can't see anything on the recalls site.

4. 3rspecB

3rspecB Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
    It could be a service campaign, hence why you can't see it on the recall website. The rocker arm issue on the later built MY17 v8 models was a service campaign and not a safety recall, so it wasn't registered with the government as it doesn't need to be.
    If Holden have initiated a Safety Recall, then it must be registered with the government and will be put on the recall website.

Hopefully it's not false and Holden are doing something about the VF1 steering racks. Skylarking will be a happy boy.

5. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    It's only Holdens view that the faulty rockers are not a safety concern... but since the issue is being fixed? i guess the regulators weren't going to push the issue of classification (if they’ve even woken up from their slumber and are across these issues).

Normally a loss of drive is considered a safety issue and results in a safety recall. The fact that an embargo on vehicle deliveries was forced on the dealers by Holden in 2017 only reinforces the point it should have had a safety recall classification and better documented than a service campaign.

But down under we have only ever had one mandatory (forced) recall for the takata airbag issue which was a long time coming. All others previous safety recalls were voluntary and negotioated between the regulator and manufacturer (including some years ago when a hyundai POS' was loosing front wheel, hub and associated bits and iirc it was not classified as a recall as it upset the sensibility of the Koreans and we couldn’t have them loosing face... as back then we had a regulator with teeth - not).

Having a car die mid intersection as all vehicles accelerate from the lights is simply dangerous and I’d think few would not see it that way ;) but you're correct that you wont find the rocker issue on the aussie recall website :confused:

And it’s exactly the same with the power steering issue, loss of control is normally handled via safety recall in most jurisdictions.

But as I don’t have Facebook, I don’t know what if anything was said on the subject via that medium. In any case I won’t congratulate Holden for sitting on its hands for so long on what I think is a real safety concern that fortunately hasn’t resulted in deaths.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    Recalls can take a while to set up. The rocker arm repair took many months to start repairing cars. My Director didn't make it home on the 14th August and it wasn't until the following January that the parts were arriving to do the rocker arm fix.

7. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    True that rectification work can be a process in and of itself.

Meanwhile, the airbag mandatory recall had its corrected parts supply delayed (due to the global nature of the impact and the bankruptcy of takata) and as a result some vehicles are having the airbag changed twice, first to fix the immediate danger caused by the old non phase stabilised airbags which are being replaced with new non phase stabilised airbags (which are available) and later replaced again with phase stabilised airbags (when they become available). And all this after manufacturers said all was ok...

Such behaviour is not a Holden only issue by any means as all manufacturers don’t like recalling their products as it makes the manufacturers failure too visible (so they all prefer service campaigns).

Me, as long as the work gets done, and if delayed the vehicle owner knows the technicalities of the issue and accepts the risk of rectification delay, it’s ok. But sadly one can never know such info when it’s a service campaign as such info is proprietary... So about the only way we owners can get such info is if the problem is handled as a recall (and even then, these days such docs have been dumbed down to the point of being almost useless so we still don’t know all we could/should).

8. Pablito

Pablito Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline
    Well Mitsubishi consider possible boot strut failure worthy of a safety recall. We got letter after letter until they were replaced.
    I consider random loss of power steering worse than that.......
    The cost of repair to the manufacturer obviously plays a big part in determining the 'safety' of an issue.

Skylarking and VS 5.0 like this.
  9. 3rspecB

3rspecB Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
    If vehicles haven't made it to dealers, manufacturers can also register for port recall which means the fix is applied at the port of entry (holding yards). The good thing is that a newly passed law wont allow new or 2nd hand cars and or bikes that have a safety recall, port recall (not sure if service campaign/fix are also included) against its VIN be registered until rectified, so at least a small win for the consumer.

Until the governing body tightens its terms and conditions for Safety Recalls, then all manufacturers will tip toe around issuing a nationwide recall, as per skylarking post, recalls damage brand image.

Skylarking likes this.
  10. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    And therein lies the rub.

As we've seen with the Banking Royal Commission and the Senate enquiry into the franchising industry, irrespective of the rules, unless the regulator is appropriately resourced, empowered &/or motivated to go after these large corporates in any meanngful way, the corporate entities involved simply do what they regard as being in their best interests and screw everyone else.

3rspecB and Skylarking like this.
  11. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Even empowered and resourced regulators often get it wrong and sadly there is a term for this, it’s called regulatory capture and is a scourge on society.

Regulatory capture was in part the cause of nuclear reactor failures at Fukushima. And in days gone by, TEPCO management would have committed seppuku but these modern Japanese managers expected and I think got a government bailout and likley a bonus :oops:was

Nothing will ever change for business when fines are considered the cost of doing business and shortcuts and corruption are the norm. Only when laws, regulators and courts are working in sync to stamp out the rotten management behaviours through real jail time might things start to improve. But this requires the general public being vocal for such meaningful change, though I think the masses have lost the plot with social media being used for pictures of lunches and pets rather than anything meaningful.

Civil action has to start somewhere.

Sadly, it’s difficult enough getting some jc members to even accept something like a power steering assistance failure is actually a dangerous situation for vehicle owners let alone get them to formally report their failures to ACCC/DOTARS.

Atleast some see that this issue should have always been handled as a safety recall but I can’t bring myself to pat Holden on the back because they may have a service campaign for this serious issue.

As an example, in France, there is vocal and violent public protest regarding fuel taxes (though I’m not advocating for violence in any way). But down under we have high fuel taxes and parity pricing which pushes up the end cost disproportionately to similar countries that have their own oil reserves.

We really need to learn to protest (peacefully) and demand change for the better.

VS 5.0 and wetwork65 like this.
  12. wetwork65

wetwork65 A wet business

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
    Great post Skylarking. I feel I am driving a potential "major failure" which really could lead to serious injury/fatality of my family members/other road users. Service bulletins will only help if I use a dealer for a standard service (unlikely now the car is 4 years old) until a proper recall is put in place.
    Recall is the only proper resolution if the problem of a major purchase is that bad.

VS 5.0 likes this.