Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It's not a faulty rack design, the problem is to do with the electrical connector where the harness plugs into the rack, the connector has to be cleaned, regreased with special dielectric grease.
It's a standing recall, and takes about 30 mins to do, altho if your dealer is like mine, they want the car all day
As has been stated a number of times, the issue is caused by fretting corrosion on the steering rack connector pins as first seen in the US police fleet which is based on our caprise. It was determined not to be resolved via the application of dialectic grease which is why there was a recall in the states AND why they designed a new rack with mechanically more robust connector contains gold plated connectors within.

The situation is less clear down under, by Holden’s choice, but if grease was the fix then there would not have been a reason for Holden to replace racks in so many out of warranty vehicles as shown in this thread.

Really the issue can’t be any clearer to me that Holden is playing games with peoples lives and that the cause is one of poor design so stop spreading false info that dialectric grease is THE solution.

For me, it would be rather interesting to see a photo of the connector on a replaced rack which would clearly show if gold plated connectors existed on those replaced racks down under and would thus clarify once and for all if we have the final fix as in the USA.... So is anyone that has had their rack replaced game to snap a pick? Probably not... but maybe there are such updated racks in dealer spare parts that some forum member working within could snap and post back with pic and part number... Long shot but you never know...

Scoz2327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Series 1 2014
Hey guys. Excellent info on this thread. So first of all, thank you.

Same thing happened to my SSV s1 last night while turning right luckily at low speed. I am a paraplegic so i drive with one hand on the steering spinner knob fitted to the steering wheel and the other on my hand controlled throttle/brake. You can imagine the fright i received when my steering suddenly became almost impossible to turn with one arm!!! I was able to make the turn luckily and pull over safely. I was then able to clear the fault msg with a few starts (i took a photo first) then drove the rest of the way home with no issues. I'm taking my car to my dealer today to diagnose and hopefully repair and replace with the updated rack that has been mentioned in this thread. I will be making a report to DOTARS as mentioned also.

Thank you everyone who posted for the very very helpful info. I feel much more empowered to push for a successful outcome at NO cost to me!

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Hey guys. Excellent info on this thread. So first of all, thank you.

Same thing happened to my SSV s1 last night while turning right luckily at low speed. I am a paraplegic so i drive with one hand on the steering spinner knob fitted to the steering wheel and the other on my hand controlled throttle/brake. You can imagine the fright i received when my steering suddenly became almost impossible to turn with one arm!!! I was able to make the turn luckily and pull over safely. I was then able to clear the fault msg with a few starts (i took a photo first) then drove the rest of the way home with no issues. I'm taking my car to my dealer today to diagnose and hopefully repair and replace with the updated rack that has been mentioned in this thread. I will be making a report to DOTARS as mentioned also.

Thank you everyone who posted for the very very helpful info. I feel much more empowered to push for a successful outcome at NO cost to me!
A few expletives left my mouth reading that. I doubt you'll have any issues getting it sorted.

Scoz2327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Series 1 2014
G'day again guys. All good with the dealer. No charge whatsoever. The car is still in warranty by a few months but not an issue really as mentioned by people earlier. Also needed a front wheel alignment after the new rack was fitted. Dealer told me that the new rack is a NEW UPDATED VERSION but could not confirm whether this new rack has the previously stated GOLD plated connectors fitted... Also, dealer could not tell me for certain whether the Series II Commies have the new updated racks or not. So, this is quite possibly an issue for ALL VFs!!

Cheers all once again for the info. Good luck to anyone else who has experienced this issue. Remember to report it to DOTARS as well and hopefully we can help push for a proper recall to fix this potentially dangerous problem!!

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
G'day again guys. All good with the dealer. No charge whatsoever. The car is still in warranty by a few months but not an issue really as mentioned by people earlier. Also needed a front wheel alignment after the new rack was fitted. Dealer told me that the new rack is a NEW UPDATED VERSION but could not confirm whether this new rack has the previously stated GOLD plated connectors fitted... Also, dealer could not tell me for certain whether the Series II Commies have the new updated racks or not. So, this is quite possibly an issue for ALL VFs!!

Cheers all once again for the info. Good luck to anyone else who has experienced this issue. Remember to report it to DOTARS as well and hopefully we can help push for a proper recall to fix this potentially dangerous problem!!

Great outcome.

Perhaps you could take a look at the part number on the rack and report back? It would be helpful to know the part number of the updated rack. With this we all may be able too see the extent of the issue i.e. when (if) the part number changed to the updated rack during production.

Scoz2327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Series 1 2014
Great outcome.

Perhaps you could take a look at the part number on the rack and report back? It would be helpful to know the part number of the updated rack. With this we all may be able too see the extent of the issue i.e. when (if) the part number changed to the updated rack during production.

G'day @saroadie. Got the part number off the Service Report: "92289254 - GEAR ASM-ELEC BELT DRIVE R/PI"

Hope this helps.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Hello All VF Commodore owners with faulty power steering, the following will bring tears to your eyes!!! He is so funny this John Cadogan !! What a hilarious video !!! Love that beard John !!!

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...10-million-penalty-for-unconscionable-conduct

“Despite knowing that shuddering was a symptom of the quality issues with the vehicles, Ford frequently told customers that shuddering was the result of the customer’s driving style. Ford knew that the symptoms of the quality issues with the vehicles were experienced intermittently, but required customers to demonstrate them on demand in the presence of a dealer in order for repairs to be undertaken,” Mr Sims said.

So GM Holden Ltd are behaving the exact same way with their "codes" that are forcing customers to demonstrate there is a problem as the code isn't saved for very long and is erased over a short period of time and they refuse to take any corrective action unless the code is present. Stuff you GM Holden Ltd, NCAT is going to love this information and precedent...

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hello All VF Commodore owners with faulty power steering, the following will bring tears to your eyes!!! He is so funny this John Cadogan !! What a hilarious video !!!

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...10-million-penalty-for-unconscionable-conduct

“Despite knowing that shuddering was a symptom of the quality issues with the vehicles, Ford frequently told customers that shuddering was the result of the customer’s driving style. Ford knew that the symptoms of the quality issues with the vehicles were experienced intermittently, but required customers to demonstrate them on demand in the presence of a dealer in order for repairs to be undertaken,” Mr Sims said.

So GM Holden Ltd are behaving the exact same way with their "codes" that are forcing customers to demonstrate there is a problem as the code isn't saved for very long and is erased over a short period of time and they refuse to take any corrective action unless the code is present. Stuff you GM Holden Ltd, NCAT is going to love this information and precedent...
Thanks!
FWIW, I am going to try to get a new rack, even though mine has never failed in over 75k k's. I just hate the thought that it may happen unexpectedly one day.

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
My grand daughter's 2012 VF Calais steering randomly locks up whilst driving. Has had it to Holden who said it was "fixed" prior to her buying it, but did it again. It's still doing it. Anyone had experiences with this model doing this and how is it best sorted. Car is under finance and she uses it to transport 3 kids under 5 to kindy then herself to work