Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by KrisHolden, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Fitzie

Fitzie New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore SV6 VF wagon
    Hey guys, new member. Couldn’t see an intro thread so please forgive any etiquette mistake. So, switched on my car today. No power steering at all. Thought it might be the fluid but google says there’s a recall which lead me here. Hi. My car’s VIN is not on the recall list and I haven’t received a letter. I got the EPS one but not the power steering one. I understand that problems aren’t always confined to the list and other cars can be recalled later but what are the odds? Any idea what I should do? How do I approach the dealership?

2. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    Hey Fitzie, the EPS is Electronic Power Steering. Strange you got that letter but your. IN is not included in the list. Best you make a trip to your local dealer.

3. Fitzie

Fitzie New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore SV6 VF wagon
    Yeah, got the EPS one well after I complained there was a problem with it and Holden said they couldn’t find anything wrong. Funny how my VIN’s not on the list. It jumps from one number to one the other side of mine. What the chances, eh.

4. wobbles123

wobbles123 Member

Members Ride:
    2008 VE SV6 Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Sedan.
    My Auto SV6 built Oct. 2013 and registered 17/09/2013 has a safety recall regarding the Power Steering Failure etc. letter that will be fixed mid 2019.
    So far I have had the die-electric grease replaced under the first recall and had it replaced a second time when in for a service and requested by me ( No Charge )….it now has 59000K's on it and has never failed even on corrugated roads in the outback....maybe mine was not a Lemon Job when built as the workers had pride in building these unique cars in 2013.....why the recall that you did not get....I have no idea....as the letter says 2014 to 2016 Holden's etc....maybe my vehicle was classed as MY14 build being only 2.5 months away from 2014!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  5. Banjo79

Banjo79 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Sportwagon
    Thanks for that info. Admittedly mine has been done already, hopefully to the standard of the recall. I feel for anyone with a 2013 build as I'm sure in most cases, unlike yours, Holden aren't going to fix it without a fight.

6. Fitzie

Fitzie New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore SV6 VF wagon
    Well, bit of an update. I rang a Holden dealership today. She said there’s no parts, which we knew but there’s an impermanent software fix and they’ve booked me in on Monday. Will report how that goes.

7. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @Fitzie the issue being addressed by the recall is is due to fretting corrosion of a connector on the steering rack, an issue going back some years.
    The problem is that vibration wears away the connector pin so that contact pressure is reduced enough that electrical connection becomes unreliable with the result being that the system stops assisting the driver when turning the wheel. This issue is a danger to all road users.

Holden's first attempt at a fix was to apply dielectric grease to the connector pins but this didn't work.
    Holden's second attempt at a fix was to apply epoxy around part of the connector but that made things worse.
    Holden's finally acknowledge the issue and quietly replaced the steering racks on vehicles experiencing such a failure.

In comparison, early in the saga, GM replaced racks on some Holden built Police Pursuit Vehicles sold by GM within the USA. These new racks contained gold plated pins.

Finally Holden got off their proverbial butt and issues an Australian voluntary recall on this EPS assistance failure. Holden's solution was to design a kit of parts that the dealer can use to repair your existing steering rack connectors. Holden is currently building up the parts inventory and work process that dealers should follow which is why the fixes was planned some time after the recall was issued.

There was never any solution mentioning a software fix for this mechanical issue so i suspect that either the dealer doesn't understand or is simply telling you rubbish to fob you off or buy some time until they get the kit of parts. Either way i think your being bullsh!ted. If there is a software fix, there must be accompanying Holden documents that outline that which you should want to see.

However, it's important to know that if you actually experience a EPS assistance failure, a solution exists today. First take a photo of the fault message in the DIC. Then go to the Holden dealer that sold you the car and let them know how pissed you are that the car almost killed you. Insist on having the car fixed NOW under your statutory warranty rights afforded by ACL. Also, tell them you don't feel safe driving a potentially dangerous vehicle and want a loan car provided as you need your mobility to get to work. If they can't fix it now by installing a new revised steering rack containing gold pins, tell them that as this is a major fault under ACL you want a full refund of the purchase price. If they get stroppy, take your personal possessions out of the car, hand them a pre prepared letter outlining your ACL claim and choice of full refund for this major fault, leave them the keys and tell them you will see them in small claims court if they dont refund within the week.

In preparation for the confrontation, read the whole of this thread which should give you a better understanding of the issue (links provided), the law (links provided) , and the varying odd views as to how dangerous it is (obviously serious enough for a recall). Then ring your territory based consumer affairs body and small claims tribunal and discuss the issue with them, especially the part about leaving the vehicle with the dealer after exercising you ACL rights for full refund.

Put a day aside and do your homework shoul dput you i a much better position to get this resolved sooner rather than later.

PS: if i sound combative, i've had a bad day and this issue has been around long enough that Holden dealers should be able to resolve the issue without delay for people actually experiancing the failure.

dgp likes this.
  8. Fitzie

Fitzie New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore SV6 VF wagon
    Wow, thanks @Skylarking. The dealership I got the car from isn’t the one I’m taking it to, though. My dealership wasn’t open at the time. Are they just resetting the power steering do you think?

9. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @Fitzie who knows what the dealer is thinking or planning o_O

But do your homework and you will not have to wait until mid year or later for some kit of parts to be available.

Oh and from an ACL perspective, it is better to go back to the seller if possible as they have the primary legal obligation for meeting your ACL statutory warranty. Doesn’t mean you can’t go to any other more conveniently located dealer since there are franchise agreements with the manufacturer which blurs the lines but it just makes hand back of the car for full refund a little muddier. Usually Holden is somewhat accomodating either way as the manufacturer is still up for the bill as the seller can claim costs for meeting the statutory obligations.

10. Fitzie

Fitzie New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore SV6 VF wagon
    Power steering working today as I pulled it out of the driveway so the tow truck can haul it away. Given what others have said in the thread I’m very lucky it didn’t happen as I was going 100 km down the highway. I’ll update after I’ve spoken to them.

11. Fitzie

Fitzie New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore SV6 VF wagon
    So, a bloke at the dealership says it has nothing to do with them. I pointed out they sold the car and under Australian consumer law it had everything to do with them. Well, now I’m cross.

12. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Which part has nothing to do with them? The language in your posts is very vague.

13. Fitzie

Fitzie New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore SV6 VF wagon
    The repair, replace, refund under Australian consumer law.

14. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @Fitzie ring up your consumer action body in ACT and discuss your safety related major fault concerns with them, especially the issue with the seller stating “nothing to do with them”. The consumer body will clarify the situation for you.

Then ring HCC and outline your safety concern for major fault of loss of steering power assistance and the dealers uncaring attitude and false representation (presumably) that you have to go to the manufacturer for a remedy. State you want HCC to sort out your issue now and also sort out the lack of understanding of ACL that their dealer exhibited.

You may also want to read Holden undertaking to ACCC as this should clarify a few other issues for you. But all this has been said before within this thread and it’s only 25 pages and the linked references to read o_O

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  15. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Repair, Replace or Refund of what exactly? The vehicle which they have already sent a recall notice for? All this, after you have conversations about the parts availability and the car is taken to them on a tow truck? Something smells off in the amount of information you're feeding us. It doesnt add up to any logical sense.

16. Fitzie

Fitzie New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore SV6 VF wagon
    Dude, why would I hide anything? Posting not ‘feeding’. I’ve said everything that they’ve told me. My posts aren’t any different to anything anyone else has posted. What exactly are you not getting? My car is under a recall. As @Skylarking has noted I have rights under consumer law. Are you suggesting that because a recall has been made I have no rights under consumer law? I don’t get the aggro.

17. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//

First off, settle down. No need to get hysterical. Nothing i have said is in anyway aggressive. I made no suggestions at all other than the fact that your posts are vague in information.

Read back the way you've posted in this thread. You start by telling people that you have received a recall notice, which one you seem unsure of, because at the same time you claim to have received nothing PS related as your vehicle falls outside of the VIN range. You then say that they've looked at it, but found no issue, follow that up by telling us that you've spoken to them, confirmed that they infact have no parts available for the recall, but that you're then getting the car sent in on a tow truck. At which time somebody has told you that, although they've acknowledged, by letter, that the vehicle needs a recall to happen on it (one that there are no parts for) they're suddenly not going to do anything about it, ever?

18. Fitzie

Fitzie New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore SV6 VF wagon
    Not what I said. I said they said it has nothing to do with them.

You’re accusing me of something, who knows what. My crime appears that I haven’t been succinct enough for you. Can’t help that.

19. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @Fitzie effort would be better spent doing your homework before contacting Access Canberra and later HCC.

@Sabbath' not sure why the car was towed but it could have been a cost neutral exercise via roadside assistance (but even when paying it’s a recoverable cost afforded by ACL). The benefit of towing could be that it preserves the intermittent DTC which clears itself with a few engine starts or it defines the owners loss of confidence in the safety of the vehicle. Who knows but not so relevant ATM.

In my view, for those who experience a failure, Holden should do the correct thing and replace the rack immediately, not expect the owner to drive a potentially dangerous car for another 2+ months while Holden get their kit of parts ready (sh!t together).

May be this should have been a mandatory recall forced by the regulator as it would have made the whole process more transparent.

20. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    And as i asked before, which part? You've got the letter apparently saying the car needs the recall. You've spoken to them about parts and know that they have no parts or work method available to them and they've taken the car in on a tow truck for some reason that you agreed to allow them to do. So now, you're telling us that 'some bloke has informed you it's 'nothing to do with them'

Im not accusing you of anything, im telling you that your responses are vague and that the logic process behind your story makes no sense for Holden to officially turn around and tell you that, with the paperwork and information available to both parties they're not doing anything. And im asking for more information, funnily enough, to try and help you in this process.