Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
@RoganJosh,

But if possible, can you get the dealer to take picks of the old rack connectors (& part number stickers) as well as the new rack connectors (& part number stickers) so we can see if

PS: also tried to download your CAT judgment from the MyLink map thread but it’s no longer available. Also tried finding it within NSW CAT web site but had no luck. Can you provide a copy?

I found it but I need to redact my personal details. I will ask about the pics but I don’t hold my breath.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@RoganJosh, thanks. Looking forward to reading the ruling and hopefully seeing some pics from your old and new rack...

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
@RoganJosh, thanks. Looking forward to reading the ruling and hopefully seeing some pics from your old and new rack...

Applicant: ***********
Respondent: MUIRS AUTOMOTIVE PTY LTD and GM HOLDEN LTD
On 15-Jun-2016 the following orders were made:
1. By consent, the Tribunal orders that the respondent(s): GM HOLDEN LTD 191
SALMON Street PORT MELBOURNE VIC 3207 Australia is to carry out the following work on or before 08-Jul-2016 in a proper and workmanlike manner.
Details of Work order:
a) Provide complimentary map upgrade to GPS and
b) indicate by email on or before Friday 17 June 2016 the method of ascertaining map version
at no cost to applicant.
2. Noted that Map upgrade to be done at Heartland Holden Glendining
3. Noted also that Respondent will also provide the next map up grade to the applicant on a complimentary basis.

The service manager just emailed me that he will have the tech take photos of the old and new parts and email them to me on the day.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks @RoganJosh, that’s rather interesting. Pity the ruling didn’t seem to be a published ruling on NCAT as the judges reasoning would have made an interesting read.

The ‘order b’ also seems quite interesting. Has Holden responded as directed and provided “the method of ascertaining map version” since it could be interpreted that Holden must explain how and what the “84019565 Version 30.11.0F.11” means, not just how to list the software version from within the MyLink menu. Did they respond in a meaningful way or just told you to go to the menu as a middle finger fob off?

(Sorry as this subject is off topic so maybe the response should be in the VF Sat Nav thread)

ivan50

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Holden Evoke
Had my steering do the same last Saturday. Luckily I was close to home and driving slowly in a 50 zone. Spoke to local Holden dealers Monday morning. Took the car in Tuesday morning. Went to collect it but they told me I couldn't have it back until steering rack had been replaced as too dangerous to drive. Rang Thursday lunch time to see if Holden had approved the repair at no cost. Was advised that car would be ready that afternoon. Picked car up at 3pm all nice and clean and they had also updated the software for the Mylink system. NO CHARGE for any of the work.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Had my steering do the same last Saturday. Luckily I was close to home and driving slowly in a 50 zone. Spoke to local Holden dealers Monday morning. Took the car in Tuesday morning. Went to collect it but they told me I couldn't have it back until steering rack had been replaced as too dangerous to drive. Rang Thursday lunch time to see if Holden had approved the repair at no cost. Was advised that car would be ready that afternoon. Picked car up at 3pm all nice and clean and they had also updated the software for the Mylink system. NO CHARGE for any of the work.
Glad it worked out for you.
As I've said before, all depends on the individual dealer what the response is. Some play dumb and try to make it difficult.
I've started using my VF as a daily driver the last few months. Putting 500ks a week on her now. I'm worried about this happening to me in the near future. Not a good feeling.

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
good to hear ivan50. could you tell me which dealer it was so if it happens to mine.pm if you prefer.
many thanks
warrick

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... Spoke to local Holden dealers Monday morning. Took the car in Tuesday morning. Went to collect it but they told me I couldn't have it back until steering rack had been replaced as too dangerous to drive....
That’s the first time I’ve read a dealer seems to have actually recognised the danger and liability in allowing someone to drive out with such steering issues. Pity more dealers (and Holden) are not so aware.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Here are the photos of my new and old steering rack that was replaced today with part no's

Attachments

• 20180528_105831small.jpg
    20180528_105831small.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 348
  • 20180528_105906small.jpg
    20180528_105906small.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 336
  • S_ap_hat-1246979829.jpg
    S_ap_hat-1246979829.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 336
  • S_ap_hat-566542418.jpg
    S_ap_hat-566542418.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 20180528_105850small.jpg
    20180528_105850small.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 333

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Great that it’s all done.

I’ll digest the numbers when I have time to check my notes.

Pity the photos don’t show whether the connectors are gold plated...

Thanks for the posting the pics :)