Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by KrisHolden, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Mokman78

Mokman78 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Evoke Sportwagon
    I got my letter last night and is now booked for 16/09... I would suggest getting in quick as they will probably get slammed!

2. lobbie

lobbie Member

Members Ride:
    vf sv6
    On my letter it said parts are now available. So just rang local dealer and he said parts are not in yet maybe next week. Also said it should take about 4 hrs just to replace the wiring and realignment no rack replacement.

3. Fitzie

Fitzie New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore SV6 VF wagon
    I received a phone call then an email from Holden. It was booked in for today. When I got out to the dealership they said the car was ready but had no paperwork as to what was done or the parts that were put in because the technicians ‘didn’t write it down’. They said they’d email it to me tomorrow. Rather peculiar since they’re just the intermediary between me and Holden and would have to account to Holden for what they do to these cars. I was told they’d replaced 7 out of 8 parts of the steering rack (probably figurative - how many parts does a steering rack have?) and had put in gold connector pins as per previous posts.

4. Stefan Nowak

Stefan Nowak New Member

Members Ride:
    2013 Calais V Sportwagon
    Mine went in today at Castle Hill Holden. All done. No fuss.

5. coolshades

coolshades New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 1 Redline
    I just bought a 2014 Redline how do I know if the works been done? Or any of the recalls?

Cheers Peter.

6. Stefan Nowak

Stefan Nowak New Member

Members Ride:
    2013 Calais V Sportwagon
    It's unlikely the steering recall has been done, Holden are just getting to them now.

You can go to the dealer with your VIN, they'll check if there are outstanding recalls.

coolshades likes this.
  7. Stroppy

Stroppy Member

Members Ride:
    VF Evoke Sportwagon
    Mine was done today (Mon. Sept. 16th). Car went in at 7.30 am and I got a call and text at 3.15 pm to tell me it was ready. According to the work receipt the rack and power steering assembly was changed. The only things I noticed were that the buggers wrecked my seat settings (I hate that!) and somehow someone managed to scuff the front bumper bar. That made me as mad as a cut snake! By the time I got home it was too late to zoom back to the service department and blast them for the damage. Anyway...I used a bit of Turtle swirl removal polish and the mark is 99.99% gone. My hint to you all is use your phone to video record the cosmetic condition of your car before you let these blokes do anything to it.

Some observations... The steering feels no different to before the service. There is no noticeable difference under the bonnet.

The service reception guy told me that the service department is now booked out for three months straight and I was lucky to book in and have the service so early. So don't be surprised if, when you try and book in, you are told you'll have to wait some weeks.

8. RoganJosh

RoganJosh Active Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VF Calais V -V6
    You can always ask for a condition report before you put your car in -you and the service advisor walk around vehicle and note any damage and it is all written down on paper and I request a copy -never any issues for me.

9. atimicute

atimicute New Member

Members Ride:
    VF CALAIS V V8 MY15 Series 1.5
    My Calais V was done on Monday 16th Sep. They had the car ALL day. Not sure why it takes so long but it's done.

10. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    The video within the article ‘Comparable to gunshot wound’: Man killed by airbag shrapnel, inquest told is worth watching. Seems some manufacturers insisted they were not impacted only to be dragged kicking and screaming into this recall (@ 2:17)

I think Holden was one company in denial untill forced to recall. Guess this behaviour isn't so unique as this steering issue thread is almost 2 years and 29 pages long (and the issue existed before the threads creation). Sadly it's been a very long and drawn out safety saga and yet it's not a mandatory recall.

It took Holden far too long to identify and acknowledge the seriousness of this issue before appropriate corrective action was taken. As stated in the video, regulators need to take hold of safety recalls and make them mandatory (as is done in other jurasdictions and was done with takata recall).

11. lobbie

lobbie Member

Members Ride:
    vf sv6
    Hi all just got car back from dealer after recall for the power steering. All seems good. Took all day and they drove the car for 6 klms which i queried them on. They said it had to be driven a fair bit to check everything was fine and the wheel alignment was good. No wheel alignment needed and no marks on car so overall happy. :)

12. Fastlane

Fastlane New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    Gotta say I'm pretty pissed. I have a MY2014 SSV-Redline delivered in October 2013 (factory order).

Newer cars are getting done before... wtf? I had 8 failures in 8km's the other night (a few after starting in carparks before I'd even disengaged the park brake). Previous time it failed was months before the notice was put out... came within 10cm of slamming into a wall.

Also to say its not noticeable at speed is bollocks. Failed whilst doing 110kph (twice) on Monday. I've driven 4wd trucks (12tn+) through sand and they've performed much better in that regard than this crap.

Rang Holden on Tuesday, ended up hanging up on them. Reading from a script.

Oh and the temporary fix is some gel crap. Dealer told me they couldn't say how long it would last.

13. lobbie

lobbie Member

Members Ride:
    vf sv6
    Sorry to hear your problems mate. Maybe just drop the car off at your local dealer and tell them it is unsafe to drive i could cause an accident. Tell the dealer to let holden know you don't want the car back until it is safe to be on the road, it has a recall for the problem so let them know you will ring accc and see where they go from there.

14. Mattricho

Mattricho Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV my15
    @Fastlane have you called your dealership and tried to book it in and got told parts are not available or something?
    I had my 2015 ssv in for a service and recall on Monday.

15. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @Fastlane have a read through the complete 28 pages of this thread and you'll get a better idea of the various options available to you under Australian Consumer Law. Since steering assistance failure should be considered a major fault under ACL, you would be within your rights to choose your desired remedy. One would expect this is especially the case if the vehicle, which is having a recall for this very issue, isn't being repaired in a timely fashion.

So, go back to the dealer you purchased it from, tell them that the vehicle has a known fault with power steering assistance. Tell them that you've been close to crashing on a number of occasions. Tell them that you don't feel safe driving this vehicle AND that it can only be considered a major fault under ACL. Tell them that your chosen remedy is for them to replace the whole steering system with a new unit that doesn't have this known defect. Tell them you'll give them a week to affect your desired remedy or else you will choose your remedy as a full refund of purchase price if it cant be done within a week. Tell them you are not interested in discussing the issue with HCC as you bought it from them and it's their issue to resolve (whether still under factory warranty or not). You don't need to be rube or be polite, just firm and accurate in what you express to them.

Before people jump in and say this is impossible to do, have a read about the guy that got a full refund because his Tritton used more fuel than his old truck..

abuch47 likes this.
  16. Fastlane

Fastlane New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    Sadly, they don't exist anymore, only the parent company AHG. My closest dealer (and the GM site) both say there's no remedy for my VIN. They mentioned they'd done a couple a week, but there were no parts for my vehicle (looked up the VIN).

Bloody frustrating. Still love the fact that Holden says nothing about safety. I mean, its called a Safety Recall for a reason... "Many suppliers voluntarily initiate their own recalls after becoming aware that one or more of their products presents a safety risk. " - from ACCC site.

*sigh*

17. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Newcastle City Holden is part of AHG and still listed on AHG's website so maybe you can go to them if they are close to you. Alternatively you could go to AHG's main office if it's not too far as i don't thing a subsidiary business can simply close shop and wipe its hands of their legal obligations. Maybe worth a call to Fair Trading to discus the issue of who is responsible (AHG?) with them.

You could also call ACC/DOTARS re Holdens zero desire to resolve this failure because a VIN is not on a recall list that only seems to exist because Holden was presure into it.

How Holden can simply say your vehcile isn't impacted when you have experianced the issue smakes of the **** they pulled with the takata airbag recall. And we know they insisting Holden were not impacted but later how many saab, opel, trax, and astra vehicles at various periods in the year range from 2006-2018 were impacted - yeah right no impact Holden...

I can understand your frustration but you need to drive the issue since Holden seems to not give a hoot as your VIN is not listed as impacted despite the fact you are experiancing the failure.. If it happens again take a pic of the driver instrunebt cluster and show them the DIC pic o_O

18. lobbie

lobbie Member

Members Ride:
    vf sv6
    I wouldn't bother with Newcastle holden i tried there with no success. So i rang hcc and they rang them for me and said they couldn't even get any help from them. They booked me in to kelly,s at cardifff no problem.

VF Redline likes this.