Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
After calling Holden Customer care- they said not to go through them but to book it into my local holden dealer.
Ive got it booked for about a weeks time. I will keep everybody posted.

If my partner was driving, and as it occurred, in the wet at speed with the steering wheel barely useable I am almost certain an accident would have occurred.

With Holden Customer Care stating my 2014 holden Calias was recalled and repaired- I told them obviously not good correctly. As part of the fault water gets into the electricals. This causes the electric steering to shut off when travelling at speed. This is exactly what happened. It was raining, ended up in a roundabout needing to take a sharp left then bang, no steering.

Lets see how Holden tries to get out of paying for this because its not under warranty by a handful of months.

National watchdog might be a good option- frankly I don't want the car if its even possible to lose steering and risk lives.
From what I have read, if the problem exists, they will replace the rack at nil cost to you. Inside warranty period or not. As they are legally and morally obligated to.

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
After calling Holden Customer care- they said not to go through them but to book it into my local holden dealer.
Ive got it booked for about a weeks time. I will keep everybody posted.

If my partner was driving, and as it occurred, in the wet at speed with the steering wheel barely useable I am almost certain an accident would have occurred.

With Holden Customer Care stating my 2014 holden Calias was recalled and repaired- I told them obviously not good correctly. As part of the fault water gets into the electricals. This causes the electric steering to shut off when travelling at speed. This is exactly what happened. It was raining, ended up in a roundabout needing to take a sharp left then bang, no steering.

Lets see how Holden tries to get out of paying for this because its not under warranty by a handful of months.

National watchdog might be a good option- frankly I don't want the car if its even possible to lose steering and risk lives.
Should we all wait for this to happen and hope the wife is not driving or go to dealer and get it checked?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Should we all wait for this to happen and hope the wife is not driving or go to dealer and get it checked?
I've had mine checked twice.

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Go get your car checked for the recall! Check my second post with the link to the campaign number.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Was yours out of warranty?
Nope it was in warranty but it wouldn't have mattered anyways. It's a fault in the vehicle design and not a consumable item or intended to be replaced in due time for that reason.

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I have the same happening just then and scare the **** off me as i'm about to go into a right turn and the steering goes heavy and error message pop up. Car out of warranty like 6 months ago.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Take it to Holden and get them to replace it. Crazy F-ing dangerous thing to happen. Shits me they don't properly check these things for corrosion.

I have the same happening just then and scare the **** off me as i'm about to go into a right turn and the steering goes heavy and error message pop up. Car out of warranty like 6 months ago.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
As you'll see reading through this thread and similar ones, people with out of warranty cars have had success is getting Holden to pay for it. So take her in and get the process started.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Mine has lost power steering 3 times in no more than a month. I had the grease applied years ago when the problem came to light. Out of warranty now. So is a regrease from Holden acceptable or am I fighting for a new steering rack?