Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
I posted this in another thread but probably even more appropriate here.

The ACCC has just released (at 3/9/18) these:

A fact sheet which provides information about what consumers can expect and the remedies available if there is a problem with their new car - https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Just-bought-a-new-car.pdf which particularly states -

"Major failures - This type of failure happens when: (amongst other things) the failure creates an unsafe situation (e.g. your car has a fault that affects your ability to brake or steer the car easily).

Type of remedy

You can ‘reject the car’ (which typically requires you to return it) and choose between a repair, replacement or refund. You should clearly advise the supplier that sold you the car (e.g. the car dealer) if you intend to reject it, and explain why – e.g. the car is not drivable, or the car was not repaired within a reasonable time, etc.
You may also be able to recover ‘reasonably foreseeable’ damages for any loss or damage you suffered from the supplier that sold you the car (e.g. the car dealer), or in some cases from the manufacturer."

And a motor vehicle sales and repairers guide to help authorised dealers, vehicle manufacturers, independent repairers, and other businesses within the industry by providing an in-depth explanation of industry rights and obligations under the ACL - https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Motor-vehicle-sales-and-repairs-guide.pdf

This guide particularly states that - "Where a consumer asks a dealer to deal with a problem where a vehicle:
• is not of acceptable quality, or
• does not match a description provided by or on behalf of the manufacturer,
or
• is not fit for a purpose made known to the manufacturer either directly or through you as the dealer

and in dealing with that problem in accordance with the dealer’s legal obligations the dealer incurs costs, the manufacturer must reimburse the dealer for the costs that the dealer properly incurs.
"

As such, I would expect that any diagnostic cost that results in a required repair under consumer guarantees should be met by the manufacturer rather than the consumer.

I recommend anyone with issues with their vehicle read these documents and politely raise their content with their dealer when / if the need arises.
MAJOR FAILURE. EFFECTS YOUR ABILITY TO STEER THE CAR EASILY. sounds interesting

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
MAJOR FAILURE. EFFECTS YOUR ABILITY TO STEER THE CAR EASILY. sounds interesting
Yes and being that there is no recall for this major fault, in thoery this should make it easier to reject the vehicle and ask for a full purchase price refund :eek:

I just wish Holden announces a recall and gets these time bombs running on our roads fixed...:mad:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Yes and being that there is no recall for this major fault, in thoery this should make it easier to reject the vehicle and ask for a full purchase price refund :eek:

I just wish Holden announces a recall and gets these time bombs running on our roads fixed...:mad:
Full purchase price wouldn't be offered as it can be repaired. The vehicle can still be steered and no different than a belt breaking on a VE with hydraulic steering.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Full purchase price wouldn't be offered as it can be repaired.

1. It is the consumer's choice on the remedy of a major fault.

2. If nothing else, it will assist in those with this problem getting it fixed in a timely manner, rather than being fobbed off by the dealer.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The vehicle can still be steered and no different than a belt breaking on a VE with hydraulic steering.

That's just it though, it seems from the evidence that when electronic steering fails it is harder to steer than when a hydraulic system fails.

Also, how often do you hear of modern cars loosing belts? In years gone by I have lost fan belts (the older V belt type) but I haven't yet lost a serpentine belt. I've had damaged belts (due to pulley failure) but even then it's still worked (albeit noisy) until repairs were made.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
That's just it though, it seems from the evidence that when electronic steering fails it is harder to steer than when a hydraulic system fails.

Also, how often do you hear of modern cars loosing belts? In years gone by I have lost fan belts (the older V belt type) but I haven't yet lost a serpentine belt. I've had damaged belts (due to pulley failure) but even then it's still worked (albeit noisy) until repairs were made.

I have driven a VF with this problem. Drove over 30 Kms on a freeway and side streets. Yes was hard to steer but I managed to drive the car. There is still a shaft from the steering wheel to the rack.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Totally agree, there is still a full mechanical connection.

Do you think your missus could drive the car with said failure?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Totally agree, there is still a full mechanical connection.

Do you think your missus could drive the car with said failure?
Agree - don't think I could either unless the car fails at high speed. Which creates more problems.

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
Full purchase price wouldn't be offered as it can be repaired. The vehicle can still be steered and no different than a belt breaking on a VE with hydraulic steering.
major failure: effects your ability to steer the car ( EASILY ) . I would think with no electric steering assistance it would not be very EASY to steer a vehicle in certain situations. Example is doing 100 klm hr on freeway with 2000 kg caravan behind you going down a hill and a bend in front of you. WITH NO ASSISTANCE. GOOD LUCK

Nathan Walpole

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF EVOKE 2013
Have just had this happen to my 2013 EVOKE over the past couple of days, took it into the Holden dealership and told me they would have a look and email Holden to see if they would fix it out of good will or I would have to pay for it.. if it’s a known issue, they should be covering the costs!!