Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Thanks for the links VS 5.0. Knowledge is power!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Seems they had a recall on Chevy SS power steering failure in the states, see here.

Maybe it’s the same issue discussed in this thread in which case our own federal office of road safety, ACCC, and other groups that are supposed to look after consumer safety need to be keel hauled for not having a forced recall.

Wondering if my MSE has this potential issue?

Ps: to highlight differences between USA and Aussie consumer protections, Dell USA spent I think around $34M replacing PC motherboards that had faulty capacitors; Dell Australia did nada unless you pointed out the issue and the Dell US actions in which case Dell Aus would fix the problem as a guest use of goodwill.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Seems they had a recall on Chevy SS power steering failure in the states, see here.

Maybe it’s the same issue discussed in this thread in which case our own federal office of road safety, ACCC, and other groups that are supposed to look after consumer safety need to be keel hauled for not having a forced recall.

Wondering if my MSE has this potential issue?

Ps: to highlight differences between USA and Aussie consumer protections, Dell USA spent I think around $34M replacing PC motherboards that had faulty capacitors; Dell Australia did nada unless you pointed out the issue and the Dell US actions in which case Dell Aus would fix the problem as a guest use of goodwill.
Cheers mate. So it seems the replacment rack is a different p/n and has gold plated terminals. Still got another week before mine goes to Holden. They were in no rush to book it in, told me not to drive it (to cover their arse) so I just joined the oil change queue. I'll keep ya'll posted, especially those that are out of warranty.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, GM learnt that redesigning a part must result in a changed part number (after the ignition key fiasco in the USA that resulted in deaths and should also have resulted in some seniour exec jail time - but didn't).

The more i hear about Holden's piss poor handling of their customers vehicles, the more i think i shouldn't have supported this company (but i wanted my V8 MSE). And some MSE owners supposedly had their running vehicles flat bed trucked to the workshop and were to be provided their first paid for service on Holden, others were just told to wait and others again told not to drive. I couldn't pick up my new vehicle in 2017 and had to wait until after the new year. No mention of Holden paying for my first paid service as a guesture of 'sorry', 'good will' or watever you want to call it.

Considering that all vehicles depreciate, this 'not drive' attitude costs $$ in depreciation and $$ in car hire (should one go down that track) so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect Holden to foot your costs. In the USA, this would be a legal issue and possibly a big class action (the focus double clutch issue i think was the first class action against an Australian vehcile company down under; so such actions are gaining headway).

You should ask for a loan vehicle and leave the 'dore' with the dealer. If not, tell them you must have a working vehicle and based on their advice not to drive you will hire another vehcile and expect them/Holden to carry the cost. Seems fair to me ;)

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I got my car look at by a local mechanic, he diagnose the fault and said nothing to do with the steering rack. Is to do with the steering angle position sensor and power steering module. These 2 parts cost 280 from holden + 3 hours labour cost. Been driving 3 days now and no error message popping up so far. Well, I certainly hope this fix the issue. Will update you guys in a week time and see how it goes.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
The plot thickens. Thanks for letting us know and for any updates on the matter.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I got my car look at by a local mechanic, he diagnose the fault and said nothing to do with the steering rack. Is to do with the steering angle position sensor and power steering module. These 2 parts cost 280 from holden + 3 hours labour cost. Been driving 3 days now and no error message popping up so far. Well, I certainly hope this fix the issue. Will update you guys in a week time and see how it goes.
I read somewhere else that the connector on the angle sensor was also part of the recall so the question is “should you have paid anything for the repair”?
And that’s the problem with not having accurate recall and TSB documents available to all.
If I can find the doc, i’ll post a link ;)

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I read somewhere else that the connector on the angle sensor was also part of the recall so the question is “should you have paid anything for the repair”?
And that’s the problem with not having accurate recall and TSB documents available to all.
You are fast becoming Holdens worst nightmare! Thanks again.

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV

Now makes me wonder, does the steering rack needs to be replaced or holden just replaced everything as it is easier then spending time diagnostic. Anyway, i got the car back last sat and so far so good.