Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Perhaps with the cessation of local manufacturing and the consequent loss of suppliers, there is insufficient supply of racks to replace all those which would be affected by a recall?
Frankly i couldn't care less about spare parts supplier issues, or other excuses for that matter, and neither should anyone else.

It's a danger to loose power steering and there should have already been an official Australian recall on this matter, period.

If Holden needed to source another supplier and pay a premium to get these updated components manufactured quickly and at the required quality, then so be it. It's the cost of doing buisiness.

To discuss excusses is missing the point that this defect is dangerous but if your happy a multinational plays statistical games with your life or the life of other road users, then i feel a little sad for your. Statistical games with peoples lives should never be the cost of doing business and such games should result in jail time.

What is needed is outrage directed to Holden but more importantly people should be reporting their power steering failures to DOTARS as a safety concerns.

If just the people on this forum who have experianced such failures reported to DOTARS, this issue would not be able to be ignored (and i'm sure Holden would magically find the needed spare parts to service the recall in a timely manner).

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Frankly i couldn't care less about spare parts supplier issues, or other excuses for that matter, and neither should anyone else.

It's a danger to loose power steering and there should have already been an official Australian recall on this matter, period.

If Holden needed to source another supplier and pay a premium to get these updated components manufactured quickly and at the required quality, then so be it. It's the cost of doing buisiness.

To discuss excusses is missing the point that this defect is dangerous but if your happy a multinational plays statistical games with your life or the life of other road users, then i feel a little sad for your. Statistical games with peoples lives should never be the cost of doing business and such games should result in jail time.

What is needed is outrage directed to Holden but more importantly people should be reporting their power steering failures to DOTARS as a safety concerns.

If just the people on this forum who have experianced such failures reported to DOTARS, this issue would not be able to be ignored (and i'm sure Holden would magically find the needed spare parts to service the recall in a timely manner).

Geez, you read a lot into a little.

In NO WAY am I happy for a multinational to play statistical games with ANYONE'S life. No need to feel a little sad for me. Statistical games with peoples lives seems to be a way some business is conducted. My post was in this vein, a possible reason not an excuse and I agree, such games should result in jail time.

I encourage anyone who has experienced such failures to report to DOTARS, and hope that if independently warranted a recall would occur.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, maybe i did read too much into your responce (and it was late at night) but i do have a passionate hate for these sort of issues and the sociopath managers that sit behind such issues. Sadly our laws just seem so inadequate at times and real punishement is never dished out.

Just look at the Takata air bag recall, while the regulatory agencies downunder faffed about discussing how quick a recall should happen, meanwhile one person in Darwin lost an eye while another chap in Sydeny was killed. Pathetic really.

At least China seems to have quick justice for such sociopath managers that risk others lives with their antics, just google 'melomine in milk' to see how we could be handling such miscreants downunder. But this is only possible if our leaders had balls (well it seems our deputy leader does, butrather than those bits inspiring leadership and strength of decision making, sadly he only uses the attached appendage to make poor decisions with).

As for this steering issue, it has already been independantly examined in the USfA and was considered recall worthy. Question is, why is the exact same issue not recall worthy down under? Do we have such useless governing bodies that seem to sit on their hands and do nothing while peoples lives are at risk? (both are rhetorical questions)

I just hope the people on these forum that have experianced such an issue do indeed lodged a safety report with DOTARS @ https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/reporting/index.aspx as the more reports DOTARS receives the more they are forced to act.

Maybe people could comment here when they have lodged a formal complaint with DOTARS.

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Good to hear there are some decent dealerships out there. So does the steering rack replacement include the replacement of steering angle position sensor and power steering module as has been replaced by RockDAhouse above?
RockDAhouse, any news?

Hey guys, mine so far so good....

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Had mine at Holden today. And thanks to no fault codes showing, nothing is getting done! However if Id like to part with $2219, I can have it done if Im worried. They were even going to charge me to look at it until customer care became involved. Was told after a few starts, codes would be gone and to bring it straight in if/when it does it next (assuming Im not wrapped around a tree).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd ring Consumer Affairs within your state and get some advice as this is a seriously dangerous issue. Holden knows what causes this loss of steering and they know to fix it. Holden have also made a legally binding undertaking with ACCC to not behave like ass hats and follow the law.

The dealer has buried themselves by stating if the problem occurs again take the vehicle straight in as codes could be overwritten with multple starts. And that's after using the excuse that there were no codes so they can't do anything but you can spend $thousands if this dangerous issue concerns you.

Consumer law is on your side on this issue. This should also be considered a major fault and as such the law states the remedy is your choice. Depending how things go, you could be able to get a full purchase price refund on your possible few year old vehicle.

Pushing for such would get the cat amoungst the pidgons and your vehicle fixed pronto if that's your preference. But stick to your guns and you could indeed get a full refund.

Seriously, i expect that the current laws will be changed sooner rather than later as sellers simply don't like them. It will be packaged as a change to improve consumer protection (in just the same way that Victorian consumer law was dumped for the weaker federal ACL).

So act now, if all goes well it may be time for a party ;)

Last edited:

killingwithasmile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
Geez that’s a bit rough, for such a serious issue!

I had my 2014 ssv rack replaced free of charge by Holden 2 weeks ago. Was told I was one of 4 in for the same repair, 2 day turn around. 12 months out of manufacturers warranty

fxxxrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL statesman FX holden EH holden
My uncle had a similar issue in a truck a few years back, when he bought it there was a white one and a grey one in the yard, he bought the grey one, the steering seized on the white one when it was like 6 mths old and the driver crashed, my uncle drove his truck to the yard, and said i want mine fixed now, they said we only fix them when they fail, he said well im pretty sure its going to fail in your car park as i leave and im going to crash into your showroom, it was fixed that same day ....just sayin....... LOL

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Geez that’s a bit rough, for such a serious issue!

I had my 2014 ssv rack replaced free of charge by Holden 2 weeks ago. Was told I was one of 4 in for the same repair, 2 day turn around. 12 months out of manufacturers warranty
Which dealer?
I can't believe how much the attitude towards this issue varies from dealer to dealer. Some know all about it and replace the rack with no argument (even on out of warranty vehicles) and others deny ever even hearing of the issue and send the customer away.
How the hell are Holden getting away with not having to do a recall on all early VFs? I guess when someone dies or is seriously injured they might.

killingwithasmile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
Which dealer?
I can't believe how much the attitude towards this issue varies from dealer to dealer. Some know all about it and replace the rack with no argument (even on out of warranty vehicles) and others deny ever even hearing of the issue and send the customer away.
How the hell are Holden getting away with not having to do a recall on all early VFs? I guess when someone dies or is seriously injured they might.

Watson Holden, north of Melbourne. Asked me to bring it in ASAP when I rang and I had the car back in 2 days.