Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Holden Calais V MY14

Today, on rainy day, I was entering a corner at a sensible speed when all of a sudden as I turned the steering wheel to the left to keep in my lane, a error displayed showing something along the lines of:

Power steering assistance unavailable. Service Power Steering

With strength, I got through the sharp corner and pulled over. The steering wheel became very heavy to use. I then turned the car on and off and everything worked fine again.

I have had the VF Calais V serviced up to date, all recalls checked and completed and I am trying to figure out what to do other than book it in for service.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

I found this website which shows my issue. But I don't understand a campaign which has been setup by holden apparently for this type of problem. Is that a recall? Is it something I can get fixed under warranty even if my car is months out?

Thanks for shedding any light

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
It's the steering rack which needs to me replaced asap. It also happen to me and Holden replaced it free of charge.

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thank you- could a wheel misalignment cause this? wheels scraped when driving.

Last edited:

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
The fault is common enough for holden to replace the rack for free even on cars out of warranty. So the damage probably had nothing to do with it.
My advice would be to take it to Holden after the damage is repaired. They're likely to use the damage as an excuse to get out of paying for the rack.
Read back through this forum a bit, there are some threads posted by members who have been through this process. I think they had to deal with Holden customer care rather than a local dealer?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Thank you- Ive currently got the car going in for a insurance claim to repair wheel damage including damage to the front passenger wheel which hit the kerb at speed. Could hitting the wheel into a kerb at speed of around 40kms have damaged the rack?
If i were you, i would keep that to yourself when talking to Holden.

;)

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. The only damage they are currently repairing is some alloy which scraped the kerb so I really doubt such a light scrape caused that sort of damage.
Ill email Holden Support now.

appreciate it!

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
The fault is common enough for holden to replace the rack for free even on cars out of warranty. So the damage probably had nothing to do with it.
My advice would be to take it to Holden after the damage is repaired. They're likely to use the damage as an excuse to get out of paying for the rack.
Read back through this forum a bit, there are some threads posted by members who have been through this process. I think they had to deal with Holden customer care rather than a local dealer?

I called my local dealership and they're inspected it and put the claim through to Holden

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. The only damage they are currently repairing is some alloy which scraped the kerb so I really doubt such a light scrape caused that sort of damage.
Ill email Holden Support now.

appreciate it!
I'd be getting them to throw it on a wheel alignment machine aswell, be interesting to see if it's pushed the camber or toe out to a degree that it's causing the steering angle sensor to error.