Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Wednesday mine is going in. Yay! RockDAhouse, so do you think these parts you had replaced have lessened the frequency of the error message and power steering failing? Or do you think your mech got it wrong. Wonder what made him think they were the problem? Anyway, you should push Holden to do the rack anyway. In the end for me, no error code was needed. They cannot expect VF1 owners to drive their vehicle to obtain a code, inevitably meaning the steering has failed, again.

TP 2014 SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV
Hi im new to this forum . Ive joined this group after googling the error code and power steering failure i had with my 2014 VF SSV tonight on the way home . I was driving on a straight road when my car lost power steering and warning sound came up and i had the error code of power steering service required and please drive carefully. I limped the car home . Once i turned it off and back on again i had steering again and no error code. Thanks for all the info on here guys . Im calling my dealer tomorrow ( saturday ) funny thing is my car is out of standard warranty as of tomorrow but i have extra dealer certified warranty and the car is due for service anyway .
Fingers crossed to see what happens . Last year car was recalled to fix rear axle wiring loom fault but steering rack has never been looked at before . Car has done only a little over 67000kms . Cheers

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
The most important thing ANYONE experiencing this issue can do is to safely stop and NOT switch off the car but photograph their display showing the error message. This message is crucial in your argument with the dealer for replacement of the steering rack.

TP 2014 SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV
The most important thing ANYONE experiencing this issue can do is to safely stop and NOT switch off the car but photograph their display showing the error message. This message is crucial in your argument with the dealer for replacement of the steering rack.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hate threads like this just waiting for the dreaded alarm grr

TP 2014 SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV
Definitely . Unfortunately i didnt think about until i got onto this forum . If it comes up again ill photograph it for sure. Im spewing because i need to drive the car to work tomorrow and then call the dealer . Least ill be driving extra carefully so if i loose steering again ill be prepared . The car is only 4 yrs old! , these things should not happen .

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Definitely . Unfortunately i didnt think about until i got onto this forum . If it comes up again ill photograph it for sure. Im spewing because i need to drive the car to work tomorrow and then call the dealer . Least ill be driving extra carefully so if i loose steering again ill be prepared . The car is only 4 yrs old! , these things should not happen .
Mate if that's the only thing you get from this forum then that's great. You're so right re 4 yrs old, one of our cars is a 2010 Mazda 3. Twice the age but no inkling of an electric power steering issue.
Brakes, suspension and steering are the 3 areas no car should EVER experience a failure in within normal 'life' of the car.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
The power steering fault in VFs is Holden's version of the recent Ford gear box failures in their small cars. Ford played dumb even though they knew there was a problem and did everything they could to stall a repair in the hope the customer would sell the car or give up.
Holden knows what that message means, they came up with a temporary fix back in February 2015 for this very problem. Here we are 3 years later, cars now out of warranty (what a coincidence.....) and they're playing dumb to their being a problem in the first place.
I'm really suprised that, given the number of people who have posted on here alone in the last 6 months with this fault, (I'm sure there's many more out there that don't post online) that this safety issue for all early VF owners hasn't got some media attention.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
If any one gets a picture of the warning /error message, please post it here to assist others.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
My concern is that the fix (a new rack) doesn't remedy the issue going forward. I'd hate in another few years time to have the same thing happen to me. Because they are not properly addressing this issue in an open and transparent way I'm not confident that this won't be a reoccurrig problem for the electric steering commodores.