Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suddenly it's Hammer Time !!

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Damage might be already done, fingers crossed its not for your sons sake.

Not quite sure what damage (as you suggest) might have been done Trev, can you please elaborate ??

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sticky lifter for sure.

Have to agree.

Yes thanks "Wot and ram" it's pretty much what I thought also, must admit as I don't know much about the previous service intervals that was (maybe wasn't) done, I feel there may be a fair amount of crud within this engine and something has dislodged and blocked the oil supply to one lifters entry point. If I'm going to have to lift the valley (inlet manifold) on this engine then I might as well install a whole new set of lifters opposed to doing just one. Regardless of that this issue may rear it's ugly head again if my fears are correct.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Before I go any further I'm wondering if as Losh suggested would any additive in the oil be of much assistance. Truthfully have always considered additives pretty much snake oil and merely a short term band aid effect, but it's far less work and cost than a top end engine pull down at this point in time.

BTW as Trev suggested the HPR 5 oil is a tad thin (which I knew at the time) as it's a 5w 40 and I just bought a 10w 50 as a thicker replacement which I was going to do today, but now I'm thinking it a waste of time until the issue is resolved.

As most of you here would know I'm a bit of a stickler of doing things the correct way, I'm sure Losh could attest to that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have used the lifter free up with good results. Its a bit like a flush but doesn't affect the oil like a flush does, which means you can still drive it. Try the Nulon gear first mate, it won't do damage and it might just fix it.
Be good to clean out the engine some more before chucking in a whole new set.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the Nulon gear doesn't fix it after 500km it will require parts.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep that's my first port of call I'd say and I'll drop in to Sprints shortly a pick up some of this Nulon gear. Must admit I'm starting to think that Penrite have something in their oil that's dislodging crud as I've done a bit of searching here before I posted and Penrite seems to be the common linked denominator to lifter noise issues. BTW I've always used Mobil 1 and had no issues and now that I've switched to Penrite these issues seem to be arising.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Not quite sure what damage (as you suggest) might have been done Trev, can you please elaborate ??
Dry starts, means no oil on metal so no lubrication until the oil starts flowing again hence the reason for knocking, 5w is way to light and is drying up as the motor cools, maybe some seafoam might break down the carbon build up to stop sticky lifters or some sort of additive, have you tried running higher octane like 95 or 98 it has more cleaning agent in the fuel, If the car has high K's I would use 20w 50 or 10w 40 + 10. Also 15w 40 be good, good luck.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Dry starts, means no oil on metal so no lubrication until the oil starts flowing again hence the reason for knocking, 5w is way to light and is drying up as the motor cools, maybe some seafoam might break down the carbon build up to stop sticky lifters or some sort of additive, have you tried running higher octane like 95 or 98 it has more cleaning agent in the fuel, If the car has high K's I would use 20w 50 or 10w 40 + 10. Also 15w 40 be good, good luck.
images (2).jpeg

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Wotever, less I don't use modern day oil in old engines, well not yet anyway dementia hasn't taken over completely yet. I hope I don't ever make that mistake to allow the oil to bake on moving parts as it cools and evaporates.
Read this on this link. #3. 5w30 vs 10w40 if oil cant lubricate when hot properly then how will it hold on those moving hot parts when the engine is stopped? And yes higher octane contains more cleaning agent which will give you better running performance.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjHg9X25OjlAhWCTX0KHZ8jDGUQFjABegQICxAF&url=https://autooilandfluid.com/5w30-vs-10w30-10w40-0w30/&usg=AOvVaw3IMc3buF2o2lsGocXGJltu

His a light read for you.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwia5dbT7OjlAhWUT30KHSJNDeUQFjALegQIBBAB&url=https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/dirt-busting-fuel-fact-or-fiction/&usg=AOvVaw0DsNXSna2c57T2XCPyrGrx

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Does sound like some crud has been dislodged, causing a sticky lifter or 2.

Me personally, I wouldn't use any sort of additive....To me, it's just a bandaid....Giving the engine a good flush and replacing the lifters (if that is the cause), should ensure the issue doesn't rear it's ugly head in the near future....