Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suddenly it's Hammer Time !!

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi all,

Well I've just had a break to sit down here and write this and VC you are so up my alley it's not funny and that's why I've been busy all afternoon tearing down the full top end of the engine and yes it's a collapsed lifter that's left about a 3mm gap between the rocker and push rod on cylinder No. 4 which could be easily identified by simply opening the oil cap and placing a large listening screwdriver at the inlet rocker. Everything still looks ok as the vehicle hasn't been left to pound the parts to bits. The only other thing I want to check out is to look down the lifter hole and see that the cam lobe is still serviceable, but I suggest it should be ok still.

I've spent about 3 hours scrubbing and cleaning every removed component and that awfully awkward valley until it's sparkling all the way through.

I've ordered a full set of lifters as there's no point in doing one only to have another pull the pin in 3 months time. My philosophy in doing a job is measure twice and cut once, this way this engine will have it's valley gasket syndrome solved at the same time as the lifter issue.

Anyway, hopefully it should be all back together again tomorrow and ready to roll for another 200,000k's.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Up to my old tricks lol, no I'm just defending the abuse thrown towards me again, oh and not upsetting no one.. Any way lesson learnt don't run oil that wont lubricate and protect parts like lifters ( no cushion for the pushing ), it also wont build the pressure it needs in a hot environment with that grade oil. Lucky you can repair the damage yourself. Good luck with it and stick to engine service specification from Holden.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Has the lifter collapsed or just stuck down ?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I feel that it's probably stuck down, but tomorrow I'll apply some pressure to it and see how it reacts. Any ideas ?

I also feel that replacing lifters in an Ecotec isn't a common thing as there are very few around to purchase. Nasons have bugger all here in Australia, 8 to specific and we need 12 if I'm to replace all of them at the same time.

Believe it or not Holden don't have any in stock at all, so this mustn't be a very common failure. Or they were just built bulletproof from the start. Apparently there was a change in the lifters during VT production at engine number VH793054. The earlier units pre-dating this number are no longer available.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Interesting, last time I looked, probably two years ago they could be bought for the L27. Wouldn't have guessed they are hard to find for the Eco. Are they a roller lifter like they are on the L27? If yes try Mace, I have an idea they used to stock lifters.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Could also chuck in a baby cam with your new lifters..... just to be sure the noise has gone
doesn't that require removing the timing gear? Would add a lot more work if the timing case needs to be removed. Not sure about Eco but L27 is sump off if timing cover needs to come off.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've just come back in from the bench and found that the offending lifter has stuck rigid, as such I'd say something has gotten in and jammed it, thus the outcome.

Yes the aftermarket stuff all states VN to VY but Holden obviously had something changed along the line but the aftermarket sector isn't going to make two different items if the change is insignificant.

Last edited: