Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suddenly it's Hammer Time !!

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,

Not going to add any performance stuff as it's going to stay standard for the lad as he's not really a car person per-say, just likes a nice smooth quiet car which this one is.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well Trevor,

Check out what Mobil 1 oil Mobil specify for a 3.8 litre VS series II,

http://www.mobil1.com.au/products/alr.aspx?utm_source=Mobil1-AU&utm_medium=Questions-ALR&utm_campaign=Guided Approach

Screenshot(14).png

Throws your idea out the window doesn't it.

Truthfully though I feel it's a tad on the thin side and I wouldn't use it, personally I'd use the 50 weight variant.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
For one that's not what you used and 2 nothing got stuck it failed due to lack of oil lubrication and oil pressure as Lifters are number one to fail if wrong oil is used why do you think there was no problem prior to running 4k on Penrite hpr5 their site gives you a few options 20w 50 20w 60 15w 40 no mention of hpr5. Mobile well they are not Penrite and don't make their grade the same. Just own it you stuffed up.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Honestly it's time you got another holiday as you've learnt nothing about people skills have you ?

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
For one that's not what you used and 2 nothing got stuck it failed due to lack of oil lubrication and oil pressure as Lifters are number one to fail if wrong oil is used why do you think there was no problem prior to running 4k on Penrite hpr5.

If that is the case why haven't the other 11 failed, the lifter failed because part's wear out.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Utel67,

Yes I have a tendancy to agree with you on your point.

HPR 5 Penrite is a 5w 40 oil and that's thicker than Mobil's 5w 30 grade which is thinner at normal operating temperature.

If you scout around all the oil companies websites we'll find that with the Ecotec everyone seems to have a bit of a different idea on what grade of oil to use. I recall in the day when Holden were big into selling their own "branded up oil" it was a 15w 40 oil that they were selling and that was when the Ecotec was the main 6 cylinder engine and not the Alloytec.

So with Penrite's HPR 5, yes it's a bit thinner on start up but once warm it should be fine. Penrite are now recommending a thicker oil only due to the age of the average Ecotec out there and in which the tolerances have worn.

So yes wear and tear on engine parts especially when we are talking about an engine that's done around 250,000k's certainly does come into play I'd say.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yes things wear out but not at 250k's mine has almost 500k's and hasn't been a issue with lifters, not trying to upset people but a good tradesman never blame their own tools, and for why only one failed well maybe because it was the one that wasn't receiving the oil pressure it needed or was the hottest part of the engine. His a little read what causes lifters to fail take note in this part Oil Viscosity again Penrite doesn't recommend HPR5, Mobile 1 is a different ball game they have different oil levels and made to suit, any how his a read.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...2216682.html&usg=AOvVaw3pPYddnst6CBIqBlSQHTMa

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Honestly it's time you got another holiday as you've learnt nothing about people skills have you ?
So its ok for people to tell me to get stuffed and find friends else where as you shown me in your people skills? should try practising what you preach!!! Haven't done nothing wrong just pointing out your problem so you don't make the same mistake.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Trevor Trevor Trevor !!!! .............It's your approach and how you make yourself look like a big wig in a small town. Just be nice to people on here and you'll find most of us are a pretty friendly lot and also many of us are good listeners to.

We all appreciate good knowledge but when someone talks over the top of someone else it's not taken kindly..........by most.
We all have our strong points along with our weaknesses, but talking like the Boss just isn't helping your cause on this site. ;)

Anyway.....moving right along, below is Castrols take on what oil they recommend for an Ecotec. Not sure if I'd go that thin.

That's great for a 3RZ-Fe 2.7 Hilux engine but not an old technology push rod engine to me. Strange on how most of the Oil company oil selectors are leaning towards thinner oils when the original specification was to use 15W 40 which seems to have changed somewhat over the past few years.

Screenshot(15).png

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So its ok for people to tell me to get stuffed and find friends else where as you shown me in your people skills? should try practising what you preach!!! Haven't done nothing wrong just pointing out your problem so you don't make the same mistake.

Seriously, if it was an oil based issue, 1 single lifter wouldn't have failed....Multiple lifters would have failed....And we can't say it was due a heat related issue, as it was number 4, which is up the front of the engine (if memory serves me correct), which puts it right near the oil pump....So number 1 would have failed as well.

What I'd be putting it down to, is age, with the possibility of neglect by previous owner/s....

Finally, it looks like VS lover is going to fix the issue and a good chance the engine will be good for another 200,000K plus, with the way he seems to take care of things