Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suddenly it's Hammer Time !!

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Lifters are cheap in the US, nice work are you going to put a 12mm mace spacer on for more power.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought it went under the plenum side my bad.

There is a plenum spacer or LIM spacer. The LIM spacer makes the biggest improvement, the plenum spacer not so much. You can run both but that becomes complicated trying to make both fit.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I think if you have 25mm spacer it does become a issue for the fuel rail, the kit gives you the spaces needed, 12mm spacers are ok to fit top and bottom without a issue, keep in mind with the 25mm spacer you wont be able to bolt the cover down as it will hit the bonnet.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I have got half way through this thread. There is many incorrect facts. With lifters oil just needs to supply pressure and lubricate somewhat they aren't a high load component like the crank bearings where viscosity and shear strength matter.
Tony knight writes in his articles about holden V8 oil mods that he can hit 90psi with 0w-20 on circle cars. If a holden V8 with a spur gear pump can do that then a gerotor oil pump ecotec can certainly maintain oil pressure with 5w-30.

Mordern oils are usually a semi synthetic blend which increases their shear strength allowing them to be uses inplace of a lighter oil. HPR5 is actually a 5w-30 oil the "40" is a marketing hype buzz term to explain that it's actually as good as a 40 weight mineral oil.

Just thought I would put some facts out there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think if you have 25mm spacer it does become a issue for the fuel rail, the kit gives you the spaces needed, 12mm spacers are ok to fit top and bottom without a issue, keep in mind with the 25mm spacer you wont be able to bolt the cover down as it will hit the bonnet.

Huhhh, one post your saying you didn't know they go under the LIM, now your talking as if you know all about what is on offer?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If oil evaporated off engine parts when they are hot how do modern engines running 20 weight and 112c thermostats stay lubricated.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Apparently they don't... :D

MY old VN would see about 80psi cold start with a 15w-40 and hot idle was about 40psi using an ecotec pressure relief valve/spring. V6's need good oil pressure due to the different design of the main bearings (they don't have the groove in one half to help get the oil around).

Facts aren't important...

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
@vs-lover did you get a new lifters or were you able to disassemble and free up the old one?

Hi Skylark,

I've sourced new lifters that came overnight from of all places, .........Queensland ! I ordered them at 3pm on Thursday and Friday morning at 8.00am I got a phone call telling me that they had just been delivered to the shop at Holden Hill. (Adelaide suburb)

I thought that they had gotten someone that was getting on a flight from Brisbane to Adelaide to simply slip them into their luggage as I was just gobsmacked at how quick they got here. Normally everything in this country now take a week, apparently not so.

The old lifters..........mmm, I'm going to disassemble and fully clean and repack away just in case they are required for something else, but the offending lifter is half apart, but I just can't get the plunger inside to budge at all and I don't want to inflict any extra damage to it as at this stage I feel it's just jammed up with some grit etc. I'm going to soak it in thinners for a few days and see if that helps the cause. Time will tell I guess.