Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suddenly it's Hammer Time !!

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Well I never thought I'd be asking questions about lifters but here goes.

On Monday we started my lads Ecotec and it sounded like someone was under the bonnet hitting a hammer on the engine. It did this for about a minute and then suddenly went quiet as to how it should be. We drove into the city and parked it and came back about two hours later and it started again perfectly normal. This engine has been a very good solid quiet performer with no issues to date.

Now today (Wednesday) we started it again and Hammer time started again, but this time it went on for much longer but eventually it shut up and went back to normal. Again we parked it in the city and came back around two hours later only to have Hammer time return at full pelt. This time it took quite some time to quieten down and the engine was ticking lightly most of the half hour drive home. It was totally quiet by the time we got home.

Now I'm somewhat perplexed at what's going on here as the scenario is getting worse and not better. I'm not sure if this is a lifter not pumping up due to a blockage or more so a lifter not holding pressure. My theory is the latter but thought I'd throw this out there amongst everyone and get your thoughts.

Regardless I feel this is a valley out and remove the offending lifter and replacing it as it'll end up creating a burnt valve in the end.

Cheers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I suspect its a balance shaft knock. If i was there i could listen and say for sure.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do balance shaft knocks just suddenly disappear after revving the engine ?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just to clarify the sound it is violently loud as if there's no oil pressure, but it's only on one valve and during this time the engine runs a bit rough (unbalanced) while it's clacking, once it stops clacking then the engine runs smooth again.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Haven't tried revving on a cold engine it but mine knocks like yours and goes from loud to a low tap within a few mins.
Once the oil starts getting into everywhere as it needs to be the noise goes away.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Losh, but this has just started overnight (perfect one day crap the next) and balance shaft stuff generally starts off low and gets worse over a period of time, anyway that's what I'm lead to believe.
I'm going to remove the engine cover in the morning and have a good listen to it when I start it.

BTW it's now running on Penrite HPR5 which I've changed to around 4,000ks ago. Not sure what rubbish it had in it before, but it was not serviced regularly nor loved, that's for sure. Opposed to now.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
OK yeah my knock has been there for years just slowly getting louder, well i think its louder these days. I'm thinking of trying a different oil next service and see if the noise reduces. Try some lifter freeup and run it for 500km. Having said that last time i had a sticky lifter it made the engine miss on idle.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Sticky lifter for sure. Havn't had the problem with the V6 but did have it on a Nissan 6 VL i owned about 25 years ago. Was going to get new lifter set and almost fell over when quoted over $600. Ended up taking them out and soaked in thinners for a few days to dissolve or soften any varnish causing the lifter to stick. Put them back in and was sweet for another couple of years till I did the same trick again.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Maybe its the oil you used as HPR5 is only is recommended for use in vehicles where SAE 5W-30 or SAE 10W-30 or SAE 5W-40 engine oils were originally recommended by the manufacturer according to their site, that's if its a 90's car.
Get 20w 50 or 15w 40, thin oil probably burning off while cooling giving you dry starts, thicker oil lubricates and wont dry out as quick. Damage might be already done, fingers crossed its not for your sons sake.

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Sticky lifter for sure. Havn't had the problem with the V6 but did have it on a Nissan 6 VL i owned about 25 years ago. Was going to get new lifter set and almost fell over when quoted over $600. Ended up taking them out and soaked in thinners for a few days to dissolve or soften any varnish causing the lifter to stick. Put them back in and was sweet for another couple of years till I did the same trick again.

Have to agree.
Not Holden but I had the same problem with a new Falcon 40,000 k's on it in 1980.
One really noisy lifter whenever it felt like making a noise, it would.
Pulled the head, new set of lifters $40 in those days, problem solved.