Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS2] Suggestions or advice on rebuilding my LS2 with a stroker kit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute M6
I plan to rebuild an LS2 with a stroker kit and some performance heads/ top end. Does anyone have any suggestions on how big to stroke it to I was thinking possibly 408 or maybe bigger perhaps 427. If anyone has done this I would be interested to know what size they went and what power they achieved out of it. The engine currently currently has a fairly lumpy cam(not sure on the specs) which achieved 450bhp according to Active Automotives dyno, and I plan to re-use the cam in the build. Any recommendations or advice would be great as this will be the first small engine i have built.

The engine will be going into my VE SS-V 6 Speed Manual Ute

Cheers

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
I guess it depends on your budget but 408ci=6.7L, 427ci=7L or 440ci=7.3L are all Possibilities.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
408ci or 416ci are the only capacities you will get from your 6L block, if going 427 you would use an LS3 block, any bigger you will need an aftermarket block

Camshaft could be ok for the stroker but you may want to consider some advice from an engine builder as the cam will be suited to the smaller capacity of the 6L as for a $300 cam when the engine is out being stroked is f-all money to part with. You'll just need to consider what crank to go with eg cast/billet depending on how far you want to push the revs - also definitely get it balanced

I would be reusing your heads (if l98) and getting them CNC ported as they flow really well already and you'll save some cash over the aftermarket items. You could keep your standard manifold/90mm throttle or go with a Fast 102/102 combo

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Oh my bad, as munz said 427ci (is an ls7 block) or 440ci will need a ls7 block or a block with a bore size of 4.125"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute M6
okay I am liking the sound of the 408-6.7L. I definitly plan to re use the block as I have managed to get a hold of another LS2 so I can keep my ute on the road whilst i build it, so using the Ls2 block stroked to 408. Cam selection i will speak to the engine tuner I have used in the past and see what he recomends.

Crank - What are the main advantages/disadvantages of cast or billet. Billet is stronger am i right?? I think i have found something similiar to what i want its a Lunati 408 kit it is around the $3500 price, i am unsure if the crank is cast or billet in that package (I am assuming billet)?? Pro Assembly - LS1 LS2 LS6 408ci 10.4:1 6.125 H-beam - Lunati Power

I am unsure of my budget at the moment but I would love to put a set of aftermarket heads on. The engine im using for building is an Ls2 although L98 currently in my ute so am thinking aftermarket heads way to go?

Fast intake manifold sounds like the go I've heard good things about them and good power gains from the upgrade.

Cheers for your input guys i am interested to hear all opinions and if any one has done something similiar would like to know what type of power was achieved?? Is 500+bhp unreasonable to hope for? If so once I have built, installed and tuned the N/A engine a blower is most definitly the next thing on the cards however i would love to achieve a 500+ n/a to begin with

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
If you are starting with an LS2 long engine for your build then the heads will be 243's with ports and valve size similar to LS1's.
The heads and manifold on your SSV would be better suited to the stroker.
What is the budget for your build.
If you go aftermarket heads and manifold and assorted extras (good quality bolts etc) plus your stroker your going to be looking at well over $6000 in parts alone (includes the stroker kit @ $3500).

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
Do as much research as you can, hell i have so many posts on here asking questions and been that long that no one probably would believe me any way when iv finished mine. calculate everything and price, then double check everything and work out if it fits in your budget or if you don't have one then all good. I had a budget and then went past it and decided to put all the good stuff i could afford bit by bit into my motor, still going how ever.

I'm currently building an n/a 383 ls1 stroker and i did as much research and calculating as i could, shopped around and found what i needed/wanted to use at good prices, some things i got on ebay cause they were cheaper and somethings i didn't, but shop around and check out the American sites while there's a good dollar still.

My biggest cost i didn't fully allow for cause i was given rough costs then they blew out when i spoke to the machine shops was the machining costs for the block, although it also included rotating assembly balancing, new cam bearings, crank, rods and piston assembly, but depends how far you go there, i went the full works stopping short off having main cap gurdles for extra strength, but i had a lot off work put into mine and i know its all spot on.
I supplied the crank, rods and pistons.

I noticed you have another motor to put in it, good idea, mines been off the road since August, not far off finishing now, but wish i had got another engine so i could drive it.

I know mines not a ls2 but Hope some off that helps.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute M6
Budget i think about 6 or 7 grand but if it does go over it is not a problem it is going to be a project so if i need to waot a little longer to save for certain parts or whatever its not an issue. Does anyone know roughly how much i will be looking at for block cleaning/machining, and also the balancing for the rotating assembly. What are some places in Perth WA who can provide this work.

Thanks for everyones input

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute M6
Does anyone know roughly how much i will need to pay to have block cleaned and machined also price for balancing of rotating assembly?