Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suggestions please..

akust0m

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT II SS LS1
I just got myself a VT SS, and to my surprise I lifted the carpet in the boot yesterday and there is wiring from a previous sound system install. There also seems to be a Sony fuse under the bonnet. I don't know much about sound systems, but considering all the wiring is in place, can someone please recommend me a sub & amp and how much it will run me. I don't want something crappy but at the same time do not to pay for top of the line. As I'm not too aware how expensive this stuff gets, could someone please shoot me some estimates.
Also, I already have a Clarion head unit and it seems there are aftermarket 6x9's in the back but unsure of brand, and I'm not too sure about the front.

Cheers,
Chris

akust0m

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT II SS LS1
I quickly ran out and took a couple of pics to help.

Attachments

• IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 183

nuttered

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VP Berlina
looks like you have all the wiring you need there. At some point there would have been an amp in there. red and black are your power and earth, an I'm assuming the two black cables taped together are RCA cables. The clear ones are the speaker cables.

Sub and amp combo? I'm selling both right now. I'll shoot you a PM and give you some details.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
What gauge is the power cable? To me it looks like 8 awg, so you will have to take that into consideration when choosing an amp, otherwise you'll be up for another run of power cabe.

Considering the price of an 8 awg wiring kit is only about $50, i wouldn't be letting the fact that it's "allready there" be enough to make me just go out and buy a sub and amp combo.

I'm assuming that you just want a "plug and play" combo, or active subs as they are sometimes reffered to. They are basically a sub, amp, and enclosure all supplied from the one manafactuer, however they usually include a wiring kit anyway. So unless your talking about building your own box, and selecting a sub and amp, then the wiring kit being there allready basically means nothing.