Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suitable gearbox’s for 4cyl starfire m40

Broll

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vc L commodore
Hey guys, I have an issue with the 1.9ltr starfire m40 gearbox. Bastard thing won’t change gears. I’ve done the manifold gasket, replaced vacuum hoses and relocated back to original position but still won’t change gears (does idle better now though). Next step would be to check out the torque converter yeh? And if I’m going to the trouble of doing that I might as well swap the box out if possible. What other boxes suit this vehicle? I’ve seen a few vk boxes for next to nothing. Would it fit?

cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Any 6 cyl gearbox will fit....I think you have to swap the torque converter, but don't quote me on that....Just check the flywheel bolts up to the torque converter if going to the 6 cyl gearbox. Otherwise, everything else is a straight forward bolt up...

With the gear change issue...Is it stuck in top gear?(I think that's the gear it sticks in) If so, check the modulator on the back of the gearbox...It's round and has a vacuum hose going to it....If that hose has a split, or the modulator is stuffed, it won't change gears....

Broll

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vc L commodore
Any 6 cyl gearbox will fit....I think you have to swap the torque converter, but don't quote me on that....Just check the flywheel bolts up to the torque converter if going to the 6 cyl gearbox. Otherwise, everything else is a straight forward bolt up...

With the gear change issue...Is it stuck in top gear?(I think that's the gear it sticks in) If so, check the modulator on the back of the gearbox...It's round and has a vacuum hose going to it....If that hose has a split, or the modulator is stuffed, it won't change gears....

gear change issue is it won’t change out if first gear, I’m thinking it’s the torque converter as the car vibrates and carries on like it wants to change gears but won’t. I’ve checked out the modulator on the back and the hose seems to be in good condition. I’m stumped atm