Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sump ****ing Plug problems

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
Alrighty. Guess you guys would see this quite a bit... Seriously, I'm sure they have a good reason for it, but Aluminium Sump and Aluminium sump plug? never have this problem with a Valiant *grumbles*

So when I got my VX, the sump plug was in bad nick, actually looks like its been done in on an angle, which can probably be put put down to an apprentice who thought it was ok to use a rattle gun to put a sump plug back in.

Now, 17mm stripped it. Filed it down to a 16mm perfect, stripped it, then to 15mm but had it so I had to put the spanner on it and hit it with a hammer to get it on there. Then used a pipe for leverage, and stripped it. Already I'm swearing.

Got some stylsons, and heaps of leverage, The stylsons were on nicly and we were pulling and pulling with a metal pipe, and then they bit in too far and, yup. stripped it.

Now currently My thinking is to go to an alloy welder, weld on a big ass bar and just twist that s**t out... 99% chance I recon, or no thread left. From there I would inseart a Helicoil kit kit... Now Helicoil kit's are about $80.. Or maybe cheeper from an engenering place, and I don't have that kind of money to spend! (seriously I am that broke!). Is it posible to use a compound thread repair kit (The $26 dollar ones from SuperCrap)...

Just wondering if you guys have any ideas of where to take this. Thanks!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah have been looking at them latley, seems to be the way to go. Just get an 18m (I would assume as the normal sump is 17m), then flush some crap oil to remove any metal shavings that MAY have gotten out... But what about to remove the bolt?

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
i had a sump plug get stuck in my VT, i just welded another nut onto, put a shifter on the nut with a 2meter long 80mm pipe and swung off the bastard, broke the weld a couple of times but gave it another go and got it

my advice also would be, not to use a mig like i did. get a stick welder with 'weld all' rods, stronger welds and penertrate real good

Reaction score
Members Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah kay. So shopping list is, tap and die set, or at least an 18m tap... And an 18m nut, some crap oil, and a welding place to twist that bastard off. Also probably need a shot gun to shoot the person who had the car before me....

Thanks for your help guys! Any more ""considerations will be valued!"" Edit: lol... I was like "Whats the word for considered... thinking I had wrote "Any more...." Oh gawd I forget the word K you know what I mean x.X

Reaction score
Members Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride