Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sump Plug

kezzaj666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore ute, Manual
While working under my ute lately i noticed around the sump there was a fair bit of oil and it was dripping i decided to do an oil change and grab a new sump plug to put in once i got back from repco and jumped under to do it the sump plug didnt fit in the hole it was to small,holding the 2 plugs next to each other looked the same but the thread on the plugs were a slightly bit different i go back up to repco and they told me that there is a special plug you can get for it they would have to order it in and was going to be around $30 it was KSP1027 1.75-12mm.

Has anyone heard of this before i dont want to pay $30 for something that isnt going to work

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
Shouldn't need to change the plug, just the copper washer. Unless the plug is damaged in some way?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
^agree should only have to replace the washer (copper/alumiunum or crush washer, should replace it each oil change considering it costs less than $1)

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
go to bursons got a hole plug washer thing for 6 bucks, last nupty that serviced my car did it up with a rattle gun we are assuming would not budge so we managed to strip the bolt

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You don't really need to buy a new copper washer - just heat till red either on a gas burner (BBQ flame) or whatever, then plunge into cold water. This anneals the copper and it's then ready to use again. Saves having to drive to a garage to buy one.

kezzaj666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore ute, Manual
ok cool i think the same has happened to mine its been thredded out and doesnt sit in there nice and firm and the new plug doesnt fit in the hole its to small and its the reccomened one for it,ill try bursons can i find them on the net? and get a whole new one i hate oil dripping i take to much pride in my engine lol

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
ok cool i think the same has happened to mine its been thredded out and doesnt sit in there nice and firm and the new plug doesnt fit in the hole its to small and its the reccomened one for it,ill try bursons can i find them on the net? and get a whole new one i hate oil dripping i take to much pride in my engine lol

If its threaded out then you will haft to get it re threaded...

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
On topic with sump plugs, what do you think of these?
Oil Drain Valve Commodore VT VS VR VX VY VX2 VN VP VQ | eBay

That is a pretty neat idea! Would be handy for those doing a lot of miles and changing their oil often. My only adjustment would be to wire the lever closed (put a hole in it and wire it so it can't move)

Personally, i do my own oil changes and always torque the bolt up correctly so dont have an issue with stripped sump bolts :)

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion