Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sunlight sensor things it's night when it's not

Stingraynut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Sportswagon
For a couple of years or more the light sensor has been getting worse and thinks it's night when it's day. This means I can't read the infotainment screen and it's impossible to see anything on the reversing camera screen.
Is there a way I can fix this?
VF Calais V 2014

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Try this. I did this mod a month ago and it's transformed the operation of the ambient light sensor in a positive way.

Stingraynut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Sportswagon
Thanks very much 3rspecB, that's well explained.
Unfortunately there are 2 pics missing, linked from Sheffield Steve. Were they of the goop? does it just wipe out or does it need kero/metho to clean
?
Re leaving out the middle speaker, I know that in the sportswagon they left out the sub woofer, which is a shame, have you noticed missing the center speaker or was it an improvement?
and did it make any difference to aircon.heater?

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Centre speaker went back in place. I only removed it to get to the ambient sensor in/out. I used isypropol and carefully removed all the white goop with my fingers and cloth dipped in isypropol. My air con temp is used manually, I don't use auto setting so can't say if it's any better or not.

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
I did this mod last year. Didn't need to remove the speaker grille. Just popped the sensor out. I only removed the goop covering the ambient light sensor as I use the climate control in auto mode. Auto lights and dimming has worked perfectly ever since. Lights no longer come on when the sensor gets shaded momentarily by a tree. Very happy withe result.

Holden sourced this part from the US. So they didn't modify for Australian conditions.