Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sunroof opinion

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
I have a VX SS commodore that is in pretty good shape overall. I'm currently getting a fair bit done on it in terms of mechanicals etc. In other words its not stock.
I was speaking to a mate a few days ago and mentioned in passing, when I get my car back I'm gonna get a sunroof installed...
OMG...well that started a small sh!t storm. Its was like I was performing blasphemy. Your cutting a hole in your roof?, You'll never be able to back track from it...ever, Its not original, what about resale value etc etc
The only point that he really made sense of was that he said that it makes the car look more like a euro car like a BMW or something... which I sorta see...it changes the profile of the car a fair bit.
I'll likely still get it done as its my car while I own it but I've spoken to a few people since and it seems like a polarizing question that people have a firm opinion on if its not a stock factory option.
What are your thoughts on a car that is beginning to age (become rarer) with this sort of aftermarket modification?

This guy has one on his VX as a reference...

H

harrop.senator

Mums clubsport r8 has an aftermarket one. I wish any of mine had one as I'm a big fan. But each to there own.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I used to fit autoglass, including the odd sunroof. My opinion is not polarised but I recommend against them. Mostly because in a few years you won't be able to get spares and they always end up leaking and potentially rusting. I lived in Adelaide back then, the land of hot salty air. Here in the ACT there would be less headaches and you can always replace the whole unit. Do whatever floats your boat

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Mine has one from factory.

A bit of a novelty but I wouldn't go to the expense of fitting one in a perfectly good roof.

As you said though, your car, your decision.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Nope nope nope. That car is awesome, but sunroofs have knobs on them. Don’t do it.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 Blown 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
I had a Hollandia in my VE, excellent unit never had an issue with it.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hollandia is a fabulous product because it's integrated and spares are universal. You sure pay for the privilege though and you need to find a super reputable mob, mistakes are fatal

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i absolutely love the factory sunroof in my VF, would like to get one done on the Monaro. My preference would be for a factory one so you get switches and everything but could live with a quality aftermarket one. transforms the car imo.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I had a factory one in my new HSV VX GTS but rarely used it. I preferred to drive with the windows open and listen to that wonderful V8 sound. That wouldn't be an issue for V6 drivers (LOL).