Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Super 6 OTR Intake??

N3VRSEEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S S2 Commodore
Hey guys, I’m new here and I don’t know a whole heap about cars etc so I just want some input. I’ve got a completely stock 2004 VY Series 2 Super6 and I’m looking to put in an OTR intake as I’ve read it gives better gains than the Growler. Have any of you guys done this mod and got any recommendations? Cheers.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
OTR isn't really a thing when the throttle body is at the back of the engine. Besides, your car has forced induction (gains from a CAI or OTR would be marginal), the bigger enemy is heat from compression by the supercharger which is what you would use an intercooler for.

Last edited:

N3VRSEEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S S2 Commodore
Alright, so you think it would be a better option to leave the intake as is and get an intercooler instead?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Get a good panel filter and maybe look at a higher PSI pulley. While an intercooler is good, the install is quite an involved process and you might have some bonnet clearance issues, as well as possibly needing tuning.

N3VRSEEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S S2 Commodore
Yeah I’m planning on upgrading to a 10psi pulley from mace. I do want to get it tuned regardless as it never has been. I also want to get a whole new exhaust system and I’m wondering what I should do first.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The factory air intake/filter is a bit of a restriction. Fit the MACE CAI for a decent improvement.

OTR isn't really a thing when the throttle body is at the back of the engine. Besides, your car has forced induction (gains from a CAI or OTR would be marginal), the bigger enemy is heat from compression by the supercharger which is what you would use an intercooler for.

Yes and no. Cooler air is always better, the charger adds heat to the intake charge but starting with cooler air is always of benefit.

I fitted a MACE CAI on our VX and then added another air intake which works well enough it lowered the engine operating temp.