Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Super 6 Pros and Cons

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
gday fellas....im sure this has been asked 1000 times....but im still unsure...

im just after the pros and cons of doing a super 6 rather than a v8

Is there any sort of boundaries???

do they have any advantages over the v8s?

If done well...are they as good as a v8?

Tony.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS
Hit the search button, it's been covered heaps!

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Here we go again.....This topic has been flogged to death! You will only get biased opinions from either side, just do what you want and be happy!

haha i know....sorry bud......i really do like the idea of doing a super 6....i guess i just want to know...like if i spend a shitload of money on a v6...will i get to the point where nothing else can be done and still not be going as fast as a v8 could? if that makes sense???

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Of course the maximum potential of a V6 wont match that of the maximum potential of a V8.

But it's each to their own, I'm personally a V6 fan. I love 8's, but I like the idea of a quick 6.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Well, that all depends on which V8 you start with.....If you start with a 5 litre, IMO, the L67 has a better bang for buck with bolt on mods than the 5 litre has, but yes, you will get to a a point with the L67 where it will start costing a lot more coin to get decent gains, but having said that the 5 litre will start costing some serious coin to get any sort of decent power out of it.....

If you start with an LS1 on the other hand (very costly conversion in an early Commo) it will **** all over both those engines in terms of bang for buck!

Up to 200rwkw the L67 is a very good option, going further than that will require cracking open the engine and spending a fair amount of cash (If you can't do cam changes and such yourself).

Each to there own i guess....

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You can touch 200 rwkw on either motor pretty easy (will cost more on the 5 litre and more DIY), after that the drivabilty price and legality of it all points clearly to LS1 power. Even more DIY and potentialy cheaper than them all is RB30 power but you need your head screwed on for that

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Exactly. But all in all. The V8 will DEFINITELY have the overall most power at the end of it.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
oh fair enough....whats the highest amount of power that could be squeezed out of a buick or ecotec v6 roughly? and for the sake of the arguement...lets just say thats money isnt an issue....
also....which would be more suitable.....turbo or supercharger?

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
oh fair enough....whats the highest amount of power that could be squeezed out of a buick or ecotec v6 roughly? and for the sake of the arguement...lets just say thats money isnt an issue....
also....which would be more suitable.....turbo or supercharger?

How long does the engine have to last? I'm sure you could get some fairly large numbers from an ecotec with a turbo....but it wouldn't last long.

If you are going to spend a lot of coin then spend it on an 8. You will get better results in the end.