Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharge or not to supercharge....?

commsec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Executive Wagon
Hi all, i have a 2001 VX wagon. Nothing fancy with the standard V6 3.8ltr engine.
My question is how to supercharge it and is it worth the effort? Is it as simple as buying the supercharger and adding to the original motor? What would the cost be? Cheers.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
my opinion would be buy an LS1 and supercharge that.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Hi all, i have a 2001 VX wagon. Nothing fancy with the standard V6 3.8ltr engine.
My question is how to supercharge it and is it worth the effort? Is it as simple as buying the supercharger and adding to the original motor? What would the cost be? Cheers.

what are you after? power or wank factor?

whats your budget?

how mechanically apt are you?

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged

mug1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman V8
if you are after horsepower buy a v8 and save you youself a ton of time and money how do I know this I have done it before with a previous car

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride

Mate if you are simply after more power and dont care whether its a 6 or an 8, Selling your wagon and buying a LS1 would be the way to go as a SC 6 would make similar power as a LS1 with a tune.
You would have more options and more room to improve with an LS1 and its more bang for your buck.

However to answer your questions;

-- The supercharger will come as a kit with pretty much everything you need (Bolt on to original motor.). You'll probably need supporting mods like; fuel system upgrade, Trans cooler (if its an auto) would be great, exhaust system, and dont forget a tune to suit.
-- Bang for your buck, i would its not worth it. But its about 'to each his own'. For example, look at Tuff 6, last i hear it made 465RWHP. If you spent the same money spent on that on a LS1 you'd be making well over 465. I am by no means bagging out Tuff 6 coz thats exactly what it is, a FKN tuff 6.
-- If you are mechanically minded and have a few tools, it would probably take the best part of a Sunday having a few cold ones with some mates.
-- As for the cost, dont quote me on this but i would budget about 10k, this will include SC kit, exhaust system, tune and possibly a few other bits and pieces.

Now having driven a 6 myself for years, i know that they lack power down low where most street driving is done. Personally i would go for a top mount blower as they come to full boost just off idle where as a side mounts full boost would be at redline, essentially a belt driven turbo without the lag. YT do some good whipple kits, hit em up.

MZG36S

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Gen3 6spd
bf just got a 97 vs ute with chrger n evrythng, exhaust and mabe other stuf coz the thing is an animal he hasn't had a proper look at it yet and it has to b tuned so bad, i had to eat my words bout 6s. dsnt mean i like em tho
its sumthin diffrnt ppl wer snapn necks none stop wen he brought it hme

do u know whats the smallst pound chargr for ls1

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
And how does that in any way answer his question or help?

"My question is how to supercharge it and is it worth the effort?"

I gave my opinion, i dont think it is, id rather supercharge an LS1. sorry i was a bit blunt i will endeavour to expand next time :)