Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged LPG ?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Hi, I'm just curious about running LPG with a Holden Supercharged 6...

Due to the astronomical rise in fuel prices...

and the fact that LPG has a higher octane rating...

I'm wondering is it feasable ?

who's done it successfully ?

what's entailed ?

and at what price to convert ?

regards,

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I have nothing to base this on and for all I know could very well be false.

I had this thought just after I bought the car with the fuel prices and said it to a couple of people including an RAA mechanic, from what I am led to believe you can't put LPG on a S/C V6.

The reasoning though I am not entirely certain.

Not much help but perhaps someone can shed a little light on the subject.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Umm it's simple, if you want a high horsepowered vechile you aren't going to have fuel econony.
If you want fuel economy buy a standard V6 or a four cylinder.
Fuel economy and high powered cars just don't mix.
With the factory Supercharged V6 VT/VX/VYs there is a bypass valve that under normal driving conditions the supercharging isn't doing anything. Only when you give it a bootful then the supercharger starts coming into play. Then you can watch you fuel gauge drop.
Like my Gen III, if I drive around conservativly I get good fuel usage. But if I start giving it bootfuls, I start too see my gauge dropping fairly quickly.

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike

The Terra Charger Supercharger YT1500 is designed for 2.0 Litre to 5.0 Litre passenger car, four wheel drive and light-truck engines, but may also be suitable for other engine sizes depending on total system performance requirements. Compatible with petrol, diesel, LPG and CNG fuels.

Q ~ Can all engines be supercharged?
A ~ Yes, supercharging is very compatible with all engines whether the engine will be two or four valves/ cylinder, petrol, diesel, LPG, CNG, or 2-stroke.

Q ~ Are special engine modifications required for installing the supercharger?
A ~ This is dependant on the level of power increase desired and the given engine design.

For more Information visit the Terra Charger <<< here.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
2Fast2FuriousDude said:
Umm it's simple, if you want a high horsepowered vechile you aren't going to have fuel econony.
If you want fuel economy buy a standard V6 or a four cylinder.
Fuel economy and high powered cars just don't mix.
With the factory Supercharged V6 VT/VX/VYs there is a bypass valve that under normal driving conditions the supercharging isn't doing anything. Only when you give it a bootful then the supercharger starts coming into play. Then you can watch you fuel gauge drop.
Like my Gen III, if I drive around conservativly I get good fuel usage. But if I start giving it bootfuls, I start too see my gauge dropping fairly quickly.

That didn't really help much...in regards to my question.

I'm not thinking of building a 10 sec quartermile machine...

I'm just asking if the standard S/C V6 can run on LPG

However..., I remember seeing some guy with a VL Turbo on TV that was running LPG and his car was in the 13's... and his grin was a mile wide when he told the interviewer it only costs 50c / L to fuel compared to the avgas users he was running against paying $1.30 / L... that was some time ago... unleaded nearly costs that much now...

Like him I'm after bang for buck...not Horsepower Hero...

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
You should ring up a couple of reputable LPG conversion workshops and ask them. That way you will get the information direct from the coal face.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
There's a LPG shop in Hamilton Victoria or at least there was, that built a UC Torana running a Supercharged Chev V6 running straight LPG many years ago just to show how great an idea that was and how good they were with LPG. I tell you, that thing was a weapon, Sounded like it had a million horses under the bonnet :). I've seriously considered running lpg on my VN with the turbo, Would save lots of problems with getting the injectors and fuel pressure right

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I think thes guys at Gas Research are the guys to talk to...

From posts I've read on another forum, they say it will be a while before a kit is available...Due to low market interests...

Also that Vl I was talking about is tame compared to one that Gas Research built...
Genuine 10 SEC pass at Heathcote Raceway from a VL Calais with $22,000 spent on just the motor alone...WOOT !

Last edited:

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah, lpg has a much higher octane rating over petrol and that means you can run a much higher compression reaio without detonation.
but yeah you can convert your car to gas, the sc will just add more air and lpg, it doesnt change how the engine works.

z80

Reaction score
Members Ride
380GT
I know this is an old thread, but LPG has come a long way.

I just had my LPG vapour injected car upgraded with a supercharger and I can tell you that it works very, very well.

And 20 bucks to fill up puts a smile on your face.

I heard a rumour that the HSV guys were toyying with it in Dandenong.

I say just do it. ;)