Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lsute12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VF SSV
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a walkinshaw supercharged VF SSV redline ute. Really happy with the car however there is some bad news....

Took the car out for a run yesterday and on the way home gave it a bit of a long pull. Next thing I know, smoke spewing out the back (luckily I was close to home) got it home and there's oil everywhere underneath it.

Looks like a suspected hole in the piston and pushed the oil out the rear main :(. Either that or a line has come off (can't see anything obvious) and the tapping is because of low oil.

Haven't had time to properly investigate but just wondering if any others have experienced this? The previous owner had replaced the engine as well which makes me think there may be something going on with the fuel system to lean it out like that?

Just thought with a Walkinshaw kit it would be tuned fairly safe and would not have these kind of catastrophic failures?

Anyway, like to know what everyone thinks on this, and if anyone knows of a good LS guy in Adelaide....

THanks

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
sounds like a internal issue as you say piston hole but have to find were the oil is coming from

Do you know who built the engine?

In Adelaide theres willall, morpowa(walkinshaw dealer) and a few others around.

lsute12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VF SSV
I'm talking to the previous owner to get some information. It's hard to say as there is oil everywhere definitely didn't come out of the filter and looks as though it's both sides of the gearbox...

I'll have to make sense enquiries next week. Think it will be an expensive activity!

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Were the oil rings too tight, overheated and went pop perhaps?

lsute12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VF SSV
Pop it did go. Guess it'll be engine out either way. Doubt the builder is going to take any credit for it

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
That sucks, Good luck with the repairs.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I feel for you, not the end of the world though. Engine out, tear down, proper pistons and rods.
Cause is likely to much boost / lean or both, yes. GenIV setup not meant for boost of course, needs fuel pump and injectors and cam and pistons and rods and heat exchange and engineers cert. as a minimum. By that I am inferring that because builder has stuck a branded blower doesn't mean install is fit and up to the job.
Remove and refit $1200
Tear down cracktest and overhaul $1200
Forged dish pistons $800
Forged rods $600
Good bits (rings, gaskets, seals, bolts, bearings) $1000
Total to do engine: $3600-$4000
That's 1/3 price of new LSA engine and much much stronger.
Could sell engine clapped out and part out blower, $5k changeover to new stock LSA.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
BTW I don't think you have an LS2 in a VF, perhaps clear up what engine it is under the bonnet on the compliance plate, makes several thousand difference cost and strategy for each of the four possible variants.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
BTW I don't think you have an LS2 in a VF, perhaps clear up what engine it is under the bonnet on the compliance plate, makes several thousand difference cost and strategy for each of the four possible variants.
I think he means engine prior to current LS3, the gen 4 L77 or what ever they were called

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I think he means engine prior to current LS3, the gen 4 L77 or what ever they were called
Sure that's what I thought but is not original engine, was replaced by previous owner, and that LS2 engine was retired 10 years ago. Huge difference, worth clarifying.