Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
There are a number of things that are unknown. When did the blower go on? Was the blower on the first engine? Did the engine builder fit the blower or somebody else? Why was the first engine rebuilt in such a new car? This type of thing was always in the very back of my mind. Mine was fantastic and the new owner said "this thing has balls" but I always knew it was a stock bottom end. Maybe that is why my VF was never pushed apart from the dyno and why I had 3 three best tuners in Adelaide check the tune independently. Anyhow, happy as hell in the new car and have no concerns about letting it have its head knowing the 5 years warranty is there. Oh, and I forgot how great is was to drive a car that isn't lowered :)

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Joys of owning something expensive

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
What fuel did you put in it? I had a customer put cheap fuel in his supercharged L77 (might have been his partner if I recall actually) and melted a hole in a piston as a result. If it's been tuned on 98 it really needs that as a minimum.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
They can push oil through rear main when boosted without piston failure....

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
They can push oil through rear main when boosted without piston failure....

Usually means the PCV isn't set up correctly though. If boost is getting into the crankcase it needs to be vented rather than just letting it blow gaskets out.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
I feel for you, not the end of the world though. Engine out, tear down, proper pistons and rods.
Cause is likely to much boost / lean or both, yes. GenIV setup not meant for boost of course, needs fuel pump and injectors and cam and pistons and rods and heat exchange and engineers cert. as a minimum. By that I am inferring that because builder has stuck a branded blower doesn't mean install is fit and up to the job.
Remove and refit $1200
Tear down cracktest and overhaul $1200
Forged dish pistons $800
Forged rods $600
Good bits (rings, gaskets, seals, bolts, bearings) $1000
Total to do engine: $3600-$4000
That's 1/3 price of new LSA engine and much much stronger.
Could sell engine clapped out and part out blower, $5k changeover to new stock LSA.

If it's terminal I suppose he could also put a crate LS3 ($7,990 at Holmart for the engine) in it and then sell off the blower for 5K and everything else that's salvageable and minimise his losses that way - would mean no more charger though.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
BTW I don't think you have an LS2 in a VF, perhaps clear up what engine it is under the bonnet on the compliance plate, makes several thousand difference cost and strategy for each of the four possible variants.

I thought the same as the LS2 was shelved because it didn't meet emissions requirements.

Plus why on earth would you want an engine where you first have to spend a mint to overcome those cathedral ported heads.

lsute12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VF SSV
Just give you guys an update on this one. Went lean on #5, blew a hole in it and looks like a piece of the ring was bouncing in the combustion chamber and wrecked the head.

So best case engine out either way.

I need some ideas for the upgrade! 383, 408 forgies?

lsute12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VF SSV
Just give you guys an update on this one. Went lean on #5, blew a hole in it and looks like a piece of the ring was bouncing in the combustion chamber and wrecked the head.

lsute12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VF SSV