Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged LSA pulls 291rwkw on dyno

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Given that the SS ute is faster than almost everything on the road (see post re 8:19 Nürburgring), at a fraction of the price, yeah...

except for a renault hot-hatch which is faster, cheaper, better on fuel, better build quality etc etc etc.

But despite its V8 grunt and new lightweight materials the SS-V Redline edition was slower than a Renault hot hatch, which has a less powerful engine and is cheaper to buy than Holden’s hero car. The new VF Holden SS-V Redline ute is understood to cost more than $48,000, while the Renault’s RRP is $42,640.

Two years ago Renault’s Megane RS became the fastest front-drive production car to ever lap the Nurburgring, setting a time of 8 minutes and 7.97 seconds in June 2011.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Good point, love Renault / Nissan, used to cane an R16 out the back paddock.
The SS ute (and wagon) works for me because it is a full sized vehicle that you can lug stuff about and park in loading zones.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
except for a renault hot-hatch which is faster, cheaper, better on fuel, better build quality etc etc etc.

That Megane RS 265 is slightly faster lap times stock, slower 0-100, slower over 400m, is more expensive, about the same on fuel, can't comment on that model build quality but having owned a Renault as do some friends, I doubt that, AND for me it is a ridiculously small car that you can't lug stuff about and park in loading zones.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I love that you keep moving the goal post to justify buying your car.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I love that you are still making up stuff about Holdens, and trying to appear unbiased by inventing a troll.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I love that you keep moving the goal post to justify buying your car.

Tbh I can't see somebody having a Holden Commodore Ute and Renault Megane hatch on the same short list of cars to buy.

The list of times around Nurburg is not really representative of the cars either. Several of them (nfi regarding the Megane) have been found to be using non standard tyres (read semi race slicks) and different suspension to the showroom cars. Holden claim the Ute was the same as the road going version. It's a bit of fluff to get Holden some publicity for their new mouse trap. Meh - good luck to them. Drawing any conclusions from it one way to the other is futile though.

As for the LSA - it appears that tuning that donk world wide is still in it's infancy. Nobody seems to have a proper handle on it yet. It took quite a while for the LS2's to be cracked back in the day and it looks like nothing has got faster.

The VCM dyno is known to be conservative and tbh it is a waste of time until the actual car (GTS) is tested across a number of dyno's IMO. Whatever numbers it pulls is really irrelevant either way. What is important is the driving experience to the guy who has the means to stump up $100k for the car. For those that need to win a pissing contest then maybe it will matter however the published FWKW will be enough for most of them. For most - meh.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I love that you are still making up stuff about Holdens, and trying to appear unbiased by inventing a troll.
What am I making up?
Inventing a troll?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
As far as I know the lap time on Nürburgring is contested and unofficial, only Holden says it's official (I'm not calling them liars). It also falls 14 seconds outside the Nürburgring top 100 by manufacturer, which includes a Subaru WRX STI @ 7:55.00.

My point being it's a fairly watery backbone to the 'argument'. The "how bout we wait and see" works better.