Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged VS V6 into a N/A VS V6

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Hey people,

I'm looking to get a price to install a S/C Vs V6 into my N/A VS and get the gearbox swapped over at the same time Labour Only. I know it's cheaper to swap it over but I'm hoping this will be lighter and I like the idea of having a sleeper. :thumbsup:

Cheers in advance for any help.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
labour is a hard thing to quote, but you'd be looking at the better part of a grand for what you want to do ( take your current engine out, put L67 engine and box in). all depends on where you go and how long they take to do it.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
yeah i think the actual transplant is quite an easy operation, everything bolts in etc...

however dunno about harness differences and things like that! if you get a loom and ECU with the conversion and it's all bolt in it should be sweet and reasonably cheap ($1kish).. however if they have to start customizing things which takes lots of time then you might be looking at a bigger bill...

but if you get ECU, fuel pump, engine + gearbox, and all relevant wiring, it should be a fairly straight foreward conversion..

We did a VT super 6 into a VS sedan conversion, the fitting of the motor took about 2 days, however the custom wiring for the VT ECU is what caused us greif. (1 week or so (night work))

good luck! your car will hammer :)

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
The swap will take a full day for a shop that knows what it's doing.
Make sure the super6 comes with the complete wiring harness all the way to the computer.
The auto's for both V6's are the same from VS11 onwards except for the torque convertor. VS1's use same box as VR so if your is the later model then it depends on the condition of yours as to whether you swap complete or not.
Exhaust will bolt straight up fromyour N/A to the super6.
The super6 and VS11's use screw on fittings for the auto cooler lines and its a good idea to upgrade your radiator and trans cooler if yours has the older clamp on style but you can adapt by changing the cooler lines from the your auto.
If your car has cruise control youmight need to change over the cable to the throtle body I think from memory that it is a different length.
It's a pretty straight forward swap if you have a complete super6.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Cheers for that. Yeah I may go ahead because if I need to rebuild my gearbox it will be 2 grand anyway. If I go ahead I plan to upgrade brakes to VT with slotted rotors, hard suspension and go a bit lower. Have to speak to an engineer to see if they will sign off on the mod.

I've thrown around a few ideas, to mod my current engine will cost too much. Don't know if I want to swap this for a calais. Putting in an LS1 will cost too much and I don't like the look of the VT's and VX's and VY SS's are just too rich for my blood at the moment. Even though they'd use less fuel. Going to do my research but I'll put up more info when I come to a decision. Thanks for you help though.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i know where you can get 4L60E's rebuilt with heavy duty/performance internals and shift kit for $1380 delivered (on exchange).
you can get new front vt twin piston calipers and slotted 293mm rotors for $400 delivered....an extra $180 for rear rotors (no calipers..dont need them anyway)
and all you'd need is a mod plate for the engine swap, cant remember how much that it, but its not all that much..maybe $100 or something.
just some prices for you so you can explore all avenues.

p.s. vt's actually use more fuel than a vs.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
By the way puttinga factory stock super6 in any VB-VSseries1 commodores requires an engineers certificate but putting into a VS2 or later doesn't as the super6 was an option.
When I did my swap all I needed to do was go to a garage that can do a blue slip which is like a rego check only a little bit more complex and they need to record the new engine number.
Also the main stream insurers won't touch you unless the actual model was a super6 option Calais/statesman/Spack. Not wagons/utes/berlinas or acclaims.
Don't ask me why as all the latter except acclaim have V8 options.
They just look at factory options and if your car doesn't come up they don't insure you. I had to change to Shannons who by the way were cheaper anyway.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
sircruisealotVS said:
i know where you can get 4L60E's rebuilt with heavy duty/performance internals and shift kit for $1380 delivered (on exchange).
you can get new front vt twin piston calipers and slotted 293mm rotors for $400 delivered....an extra $180 for rear rotors (no calipers..dont need them anyway)
and all you'd need is a mod plate for the engine swap, cant remember how much that it, but its not all that much..maybe $100 or something.
just some prices for you so you can explore all avenues.

p.s. vt's actually use more fuel than a vs.

Damn I didn't know this I'll have a chat to you about this and check out your ride on Sunday.

I turn 25 september 2007 so if do a conversion it will hopefully be just after that. Will go shopping for a new insurer if my current one won't cover it. They say I can have any mods I want but I think a super six might not be what they are thinking of :D

This is going to take a lot of thought, and a few bucks to!