Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged VT/VX... How expensive to insure?

VSteve

Reaction score
I am wanting to buy a Supercharged VT or VX but the car dealer I spoke to seems to think they are a waste of money as they are very expensive to insure and dont go much better than a NA V6. Just wondering anyone with a supercharged commodore how expensive is it to insure? Is it much more than a NA version?

Cheers.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
They go alot better than n/a, just drive one and you'll know. There's also much more modding potential in smaller pulleys, coolers, etc.

Cons - must run premium fuels, at least 95ron or 98 (ultimate, etc) if you've upped the boost. And insurance... if under 25 it's a real pain, as with any boosted car. Yes you do pay a premium for it, how much more depends on age, history, rating etc etc..

It's a whole lot of fun, whether the extra is worth it or not is up to you really. My recommendation is go drive one, and you'll know if it's worth it or not.

edit - for insurance stuff, get online quotes off aami or whatever, for n/a and boosted. It's sometimes had to tell which is which though :S their form isn't the clearest.

dmitch

DonkeySS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
this prob aint the cheapest.. its from rac online.. entered the exact details 4 both types of car.. and n/a was $1456.24 a year and the s/c was $2113.21.. but the s/c was insured for $800 more.. so the diff is quite abit.. but ur age is wats gonna kill ya..

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
mines with justcars, started at $1900 for the first year, now in my 3rd year with them and its down to ~$1100

dont listen to car dealers, listen to us that own them!

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Stuipid question.. How long is a piece of string ?

Depends on your age/driving history/what suburb/garaged or street parking/do you have any no claim bonus/male-female/any one else going to drive it ?? ect

Log on to the insurance web sites like everybody else and find out.

cuckoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 twin Turbo
Stuipid question.. How long is a piece of string ?

Depends on your age/driving history/what suburb/garaged or street parking/do you have any no claim bonus/male-female/any one else going to drive it ?? ect

Log on to the insurance web sites like everybody else and find out.

well before i got the intercooler i was paying $600.00 pa with nrma
after cooler $890.00 with shannons
but i'm 45 60% ncb and perfect driving record
Cuckoo

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
my xu6 is $2700 for me, im 21, but you have to take into consideration thats its also HSV, that was from just car insurance

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I've got VT S Super six and it goes A LOT BETTER than n/a V6.

Atm I only have 3rd party property damage insurance which is $340.

This is with Just car insurance and their quote for full comp insurance was 1600.

I'm 26 with perfect driving record and no claims...

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
Ive got a supercharged VX and it costs me $1490 a year. Its 5 bucks a fortnight more than my old 4WD. Dont listen to the dealers they all have hidden agenda's. If you like it and can afford it go for it you will never look back.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
It amazes me how much it varies, if you do a search around you'll find the fun I had with insurance companies going back 15 months or so.

I'm 27 now although was 26 when I was after insurance, never had insurance before in my own name, but in my favour to some degree had a clean driving record (lucky I guess to shy away from those camera's despite being put just around the corner), total damage is ~$900 through Just Car Insurance with everything covered right down to different coloured tyre caps as supplied by my local fella's at Bob Jane.

Shannon's told me to not waste my time, SGIC, Vigil, GIO and a few others took me to go away in a polite fashion because I wasn't 30.

Not much else to add which hasn't been mentioned already, there are plenty of choices out there and as you can see varies quite a bit even for someone the same age, car and driving history. Just take a look at the figure damirgenije popped up!