Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharged VT

Stevierocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT supercharged sedan
have replaced the "valley cover gaskets" about 12 mths ago....Their a common problem with the supercharged V6.. Overheating is another problem I've had to deal with, I fixed that, lotta fun getting to that thermostat housing that Holden wisely stuck behind the engine.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
have replaced the "valley cover gaskets" about 12 mths ago....Their a common problem with the supercharged V6.. Overheating is another problem I've had to deal with, I fixed that, lotta fun getting to that thermostat housing that Holden wisely stuck behind the engine.

Ahh the Old Thermostat at the Back of the Supercharger Trick !,
Yes I have been their and done that, had to replace the STUCK thermostat, that almost cause the motor to cooked itself.
I ended up pulling the rear intake off the blower, to get to the thermostat, that's the only way.
The other thing I recently found, the Temp sender plastic where the loom plugs onto gets very brittle, and can break off, and they play havoc with the ECU,
I found that one by mistake, ended up replacing it with an after market one, and its doesn't read as high at as the OEM one, so I went to put the original one back in and the plastic broke, so I'm going to the wreckers to get a OEM one.
Where the Super6 ones deteriate quick because of the volume of heat at the rear of the engine,
As the STD V6's have them at the front of intake manifold, and last a lot longer.

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Have you changed the spark plug leads? If not, worth a try.

klrtim

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Commodore VT / SS L-67 Supercharged V6 3.8
My VT has been jerking violently on acceleration... anyone have the same issue?
YUP my coil packs were causing my vt to stumble on acceleration up hills and when heavy foot operation. $150.00 at repco 10 mins swapping the 3 coil packs, car screams now, ps IAC valve was also dirty as hell . cleaned it and monitoring it with Advanced engine diagnostic software till new IAC arrives. hope this helps Bro let us know

Stevierocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT supercharged sedan
YUP my coil packs were causing my vt to stumble on acceleration up hills and when heavy foot operation. $150.00 at repco 10 mins swapping the 3 coil packs, car screams now, ps IAC valve was also dirty as hell . cleaned it and monitoring it with Advanced engine diagnostic software till new IAC arrives. hope this helps Bro let us know
Thanks for that info, I'll check the coils although I replaced the coils 18 myhs ago... Where is the IAC valve?

Stevierocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT supercharged sedan
I have similar issue when my Super6 when its cold ATM, drive great when warm ;)
Where I do know the LIM gaskets need replacing, as I haven't done them yet, due to its not a 5 minute job,
Also check for any vacuum leaks, that will cause the same fault,
as I found the OEM vacuum hoses had split/perished on the plastic fittings they connected to that connected to other hoses. :mad:
I replaced ALL the vacuum hoses and it helped, but the LIM gadgets are next.
Also if you get a chance, lift your bonnet in a DARK area, and see if you have a Christmas Tree under there, :eek:
that is a sure sign of Plugs and Leads, but be careful poking around under bonnet in the dark, especially with a Super6 with the pulley up high. :cool:

Stevierocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT supercharged sedan
Found the issue... big black pipe between the air filter box & throttle body had split on the underside... wrapped the split area with racers tape... obviously the airflow into the throttle was being disturbed... Quite unbelievable how such a small thing could adversely affect the performance of the engine... very important to pass this info onto our Members

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Found the issue... big black pipe between the air filter box & throttle body had split on the underside... wrapped the split area with racers tape... obviously the airflow into the throttle was being disturbed... Quite unbelievable how such a small thing could adversely affect the performance of the engine... very important to pass this info onto our Members

Well done !,

I am one that will check my Super6 out tomorrow now you have let the members know.