Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharger ideas. Or other alternatives.

JACKO4590

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX SS
Hey guys. I currently have a VX SS 6 speed manual that's making 270 rwkw with its current mods. I'm looking at more power but not spending a lot of money in the wrong area.
All work will be carried out in a workshop but before I pop my head in and start asking a million questions. I want to be a bit prepared for what I'm roughly looking at.

I want to keep the cost low, so I'm thinking something like a bolt on supercharger. Already got the cam and tune with that. Looking at anything over the 300rwkw would be good enough but if I can stretch 350rwkw then ill be happy. But it that comes with a 10k price tag then won’t be happening this month.

If a supercharger isn't the way to go then what direction should I be looking into?

Current mods:
Cam ISKY 218/224 @ 112 l/c
VCM OTR
3.9 diff gears
Pacemaker 4 into 1 headers to a 3" collectors. Twin 3" with only middle mufflers.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Supercharger will give you better and more usable performance than other mods. A better clutch would be a must. BTW, sounds like a very "happy" dyno.

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Bang for buck a turbo can not be beaten by a blower! but be willing cough up serious coin for high a quality item and more importantly how it's fitted but it would still be cheaper than a beltdrive kit the labour to fit a blower will be around half that of the turbo though if I did it ,But even a ebay billet gtx turbo like the one I'm using on a l36 will spit out roughly 350rwkw at 15 psi poorly tuned on your set up at a guess ,as long as u have a decent fuel system and get the thing tuned properly all things being equal if it's on song and running about 15psi and the timing is as far as it can go it's only a lil bit less than double the output of the equivalent atmo engine! so unless your dyno figure now is a bit on the happy side be prepared to get into a world of expense as you would have to drive like a old lady to save the drivetrain anddiff bushes and tyres ect even on 6psi completely stock Ls has no trouble making similar hp to u now maybe a lil more but will have twice your torque yeah just if u do go cheap or lash out get a wideband afr it can save u huge$ on failure and dyno time

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
a good blower is a great thing hugely responsive often very fat torque although the power delivery from a standstill does do a good smoke show that and ultimately nothing beats a blown 8 for sheer toughness but if u go turbo the real world power delivery on street treads particularly means that on a real budget turbo for racing or supercharged for skids

JACKO4590

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX SS
Supercharger will give you better and more usable performance than other mods. A better clutch would be a must. BTW, sounds like a very "happy" dyno.
All mods are done over 2 years ago from the owner before, and he had it as a street legal drag car. But I feel like I want more power.
Forgot to say as well it's got a heavy-duty clutch in it now but when I got the car I got told it should be replaced soon. Hard to shift into 1st and reverse from first start up but in 2 years and 10,000 km later still working. But will be getting a new clutch with the better upgrades.

a good blower is a great thing hugely responsive often very fat torque although the power delivery from a standstill does do a good smoke show that and ultimately nothing beats a blown 8 for sheer toughness but if u go turbo the real world power delivery on street treads particularly means that on a real budget turbo for racing or supercharged for skids
Ok rule of thumb has always been "don't trust eBay for performance parts" but I also dont have a huge budget.
If I have to I'll spend 10k on the supercharger then I will but not sure what brands (or even what type of s/c to look for) so any direction on that will be great.

A corresponding clutch upgrade will be done at the same time as well as lifters by the sounds of it (been a little bit noisey for 2 years) so thats also gonna add costs.

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
If u really want to go fast get a pro charger , its pretty much just a belt drive turbo and they give great power and useable torque avoid the eBay raptor kits they work but a $150 turbo eats them any day! Stay away from eBay fuel system components and waste gates go to a real dealer even supecheap auto can get in turbosmart and haltec gear but I have had some great success with a couple of cheap brands one in particular is maxspeedingrods I had one of the cheapest nastiest turbos they sell make over 200 kw on a bog stock l36 and lasted over 2 years and 35000km I only replaced it because it ate some piston crown, oops a bit too much boost for stock valves,it even survived after the first motor lost oil pressure on the way to work I drove 10k turbo grinding away thought it would be fkd for sure,swapped motors it made a lil noise so I sat on limiter for a bit and well.. it ran 13.6 that night on 14psi that was 2 years ago and total cost at that point under $2000 incl purchase of car and rego,

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
I've made some changes since then, a few more dollars in a heap more power and it's actually not as quick as before traction and trans problems a big hinder now , one piece of advice and it goes for any vehicle a well set up practical power package can often outperform a big power big dollar and big problem set up

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just go a pro charger cheap and easy. Look up Richard Holdener on youtube he has 11ty million videos on LS engines and boost.
A set of higgins heads will also make the supercharger shine.

Yes turbos make more power but you have to deal with more issues plus you have to ditch your exhaust.

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
Higgins heads are awesome bit of kit their ports make my hand porting look archaic but you will be going a different path there What happened to the developers and car builders in the world,if u want honest advice on building a budget performance pack blowing that coin on Cnc heads on forced induction is a joke! unless it's a competition engine stock heads with a decent cam and lifters and valve springs 600hp plus Is easily obtained with a turbo! a lil harder with a charger ,but big dollar heads are nice to look at and ultimately the best way to go for getting a bit more that's right a bit ! Ports don't make power but the help and are part of a good package ,bigger isn't allways faster but unless you want that never ending spiral down the money pit of power keep it simple and don't go too big if he's happy with 300kw what do u think a boosted and cammed Ls with Higgins heads will make for power ?let's just say u will want to ditch that clutch, now I'll let you know more opinions more better to make your mind up but I build engines that produce over 1 hp per cc by hand and they're built cheap so I dunno

LSV MALOUF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Donkey
For around $6k a c.a.p.a kit is pretty capable and they are an easy install a decent mechanic should take less than a day to fit on your set up will make fat power even with a 20yr old unit I fitted to a stock vy ss makes 320 kw and it had chipped blades after it ate gravel on its old motor and is constantly chasing repairs from tailshafts to diff bushes and gearboxes the same boat I'm in with an ls eating v6