Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

supercharger kit info

R

Reggie

please help. i am after information on supercharging a vn v6 commodore.
i am aware of the castlemaine rod shop kits with the overdrive pulley to get 7 psi, but just wondering has anyone out there fitted one, what is it like and any probs? also , does anyone know how much boost a standard v6 can take without a problem?
thanks in advance!:driving:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
With the 6 psi pulley, bigger injectors and tuned to suit you are looking at around 150 rwkw with enough torque to be slightly faster than most VN 5 liters with a good exhaust on them. That's not alot of boost for them strength wise

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
mine's been running on 6-8psi for a few months now, no crazy signs of engine damage. and it quite frequently finds the rev limiter and gets driven hard..

however, is always maintained, good quality oil frequently changed, never thrashed cold, etc etc.

I'd say it's the best bang-for-your buck modification you can do - power wise it will do:

- 1st gear donuts comfortably with a full car and a minispool.
- 2nd gear donuts comfortably with 2 people in the car.

greenfoam is correct, you NEED bigger injectors and a tune to get it running nicely - Most people just do a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, but this is a dodgy way around it.

You'll also highly benefit from an intercooler, and a 2.5 - 3" twin cat exhaust.

Only thing is that these chargers are LOUUUD, you might want to do the throttle body on charger intake setup!

R

Reggie

not sure what you mean by throttle body on charger intake? is most of the noise induction? do you know if i will need to get it engineered or passed by rta? what sort of supercharger kit did you put on?
would you say that your car goes heaps beter or a bit better?
thanks for your help.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
hey man

crs charger and plumbing with 6 psi pulley

I looked into getting it engineered but they want a $3,000 emissions test result first :(

however, if you get pulled up and sent to the EPA it's about an hours work to remove all the bad bits :)

most of the noise is when the supercharger is compressing air, but your throttle body is closed, so it vents all the excess air out to atmosphere or back into the airbox (depending on your setup)

the proper way to remove most of the noise would be to get the throttlebody and move it so that it's before the charger, on the air inlet side of the charger, not the compressed air outlet of the charger.

I would say that the car goes HEAPS better than standard.

Power run on the dyno did 143.3 rwkw @ around 4,000 rpm. My valve springs can't keep up and valves are being blown open with boost at those revs, so there's still a bit more in it with better valve springs.

I think greenfoam was saying a 5 litre with exhaust and one of his tunes pulled 146rwkw or something .. I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm mistaken