Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharger Oil?

substanceVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 "S" Pac Supercharged
Ive heard that S/C's take oil. Is this true. Also how do i check it and what oil do i use when i replace it. VX series 2 S/C. Thanks.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Supposed to be OK for life!
But it is worth checking. Listed in the 100000 service.
I checked mine at 98000 km - found it needed two bottles (120 ml each) to bring the level up correctly. Total I believe is 2.5 bottles - thus mine was very low - I have a slight leak at the shaft.
Holden dealer is $34 each! although have seen it in USA websites at $US7 each.
Am now looking at a rebuilt snout from USA.
Good luck.

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
Eaton (the manufacturer of the charger) say that the oil in the charger is good for 100,000 miles (160,000 kms), i had mine changed at the 160,000 service, and even then the mechanic said the oil was fine. needed 3 and a bit bottles of the oil and like wetwork65 said it aint cheap at around $30 for a 250ml bottle!!

substanceVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 "S" Pac Supercharged
Yeas but where is the oil located? How can i check it.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks to six-shooter

Attachments

• m909af.jpg
    m909af.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 9,119
S

seano

I was also under the impression that the oil did not need checking/topping up, I swear I read somewhere that it was a fully sealed unit and required no maintenance. Why would they say that if its not true?? My 01 VX has never been checked and its at 130,000 I think Ill check it today.
thanks all

Charge_Me_Baby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 S SUPERCHARGED
Maybe this is why my one sounds a bit dry on start up and at high revs.
stupid question (i know there aren't no stupid questions just stupid people:D ): how do you refill it/ check it without losing oil?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Take a look at the picture a few posts ago (thanks six-shooter for this pic). When you take the screw out there should be no loss of oil.
The oil should be up to the bottom of the thread - may need a torch to help see inside.

Lloyd1986

Reaction score
Website
www.lcimagery.com
Members Ride
VX II Supercharged S pack
I was also under the impression that the oil did not need checking/topping up, I swear I read somewhere that it was a fully sealed unit and required no maintenance. Why would they say that if its not true?? My 01 VX has never been checked and its at 130,000 I think Ill check it today.
thanks all

Well they say it because it probably is true in a perfect world. But in the real world seals get old and start to leak.