Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharger rattle/grind

Build388

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Clubsport
Have a VF 2017 supercharged LSA, just noticed a rattle/grind noise coming from the top around the Supercharger, any quick easy checks I can do to tell what’s going on?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This was a know defect that resulted in a large recall in the USA some years ago. GM recall resulted in new supercharges being installed and they sold many defective supercharges into the market which owners fixed with new dampers…

No such luck with a recall down under, nor with cheap and easily repairable superchar he’s being dropped into our market :rolleyes:

It was discussed in the following thread

PS: the following TSB is interesting, particularly in the reimbursement process for out of pocket cost for those owners who paid to get such defects repairs even at 3rd party repairs. Contrast this to how Holden behaved in such cases which were handled in a less than consistent manner…

Last edited:

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Have a VF 2017 supercharged LSA, just noticed a rattle/grind noise coming from the top around the Supercharger, any quick easy checks I can do to tell what’s going on?

What vehicle is it? I thought the isolater issue had been solved before the end of GenF series 1 with the fitment of an updated isolater. Is it a factory HSV? Or a VF that you've installed an earlier LSA in?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
What vehicle is it? I thought the isolater issue had been solved before the end of GenF series 1 with the fitment of an updated isolater. Is it a factory HSV? Or a VF that you've installed an earlier LSA in?
A few years ago I saw a next to new very low km Camaro at a dealer that was suffering the same supercharger noise issue being discussed here :oops: Saw it when servicing my VF MSE during the dark days of Covid :rolleyes:

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
A few years ago I saw a next to new low km Camaro at a dealer that was suffering the same supercharger noise issue being discussed here :oops: Saw it when servicing my VF MSE during the dark days of Covid :rolleyes:

Didn't the LT4 in the Gen 6 Camaro use a completely new supercharger set up over the LSA? Or was it an older Gen5 ZL1?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Didn't the LT4 in the Gen 6 Camaro use a completely new supercharger set up over the LSA? Or was it an older Gen5 ZL1?
Yes.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You need one of these. Had mine replaced on my Gen-F2 GTS recently (before my accident).

1706338304689.png

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Pop the belt and give it turn back and forth, there should be practically zero slack. Doesn't mean it's not the problem if it doesn't, they can bind

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure what generation it was, probably a Gen6 LT4 variant (=factory import) but just as likely to have been a Gen5 LFA variant (=private import?).

I just know it was in better than new condition body wise and it was a hardly driven example. I was surprised it had the classic LFA supercharger issue and was getting the isolator replaced (supposedly at the owners expense) :rolleyes: but LFA or LT4 can’t say:eek: