Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Superchargers and Annual Safety Inspections?

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
I was reading that Wheels bit about the W1 assembly line yesterday ... apparently for the recent past, HSV's have been arriving from the Holden factory as a fully assembled & complianced car.
So I wonder whether a Clubsport is a Commodore from a paperwork/ADR's point of view?

Fully assembled yes, but with some slave parts. The HSV built cars need to be driven off the line and onto trucks to HSV assembly line in clayton VIC. From memory, Interior, wiring, LSA drivetrain was fitted @ Holden assembly line. Once arrived at HSV assembly line, slave parts like, fascia's, brakes, wheels etc, were removed and HSV specific parts fitted.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Blower is more to do with emissions not really safety issue unless it sticks out the bonnet or you got bald tyres.

Most pinkslip places won't care as long as car looks normal enough outside.

Unfortunately it's more than just emissions. i know in NSW if power increases by more than 20% (I think) you need an engineers certifcate to prove the braking system and other drive train components can handle the extra power. Then of course you have the emissions issue.
Having it engineered is a lot more expensive than an emissions test.
if you moved to NSW from another state, the car will need a blue slip. This is where you run into trouble, as most of the places doing blue slip tests know their stuff

I'm staggered that the Walkinshaw blowers are considered legal in SA, as it's not a factory fitted part.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
If Walkinshaw blowers were legal, even only in SA, im surprised they aren't marketed as such. CAPA Vortech state ADR compliance available with theirs, but it must be next to no boost as any blower would put you over the 20% power increase rule.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Unfortunately it's more than just emissions. i know in NSW if power increases by more than 20% (I think) you need an engineers certifcate to prove the braking system and other drive train components can handle the extra power. Then of course you have the emissions issue.
if you moved to NSW from another state, the car will need a blue slip. This is where you run into trouble, as most of the places doing blue slip tests know their stuff

I'm staggered that the Walkinshaw blowers are considered legal in SA, as it's not a factory fitted part.

Maybe the guy I spoke to from got it wrong or meant LSA type fitted from new but I was talking to the modification section of Transport SA and that is what he actually said. After he said that I said well the Harrop 2300 is just like a Walkinshaw he said doesn't matter, Walkinshaw or nothing, and referred me to authorised engineers.

VinnieLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Redline
Maybe the guy I spoke to from got it wrong or meant LSA type fitted from new but I was talking to the modification section of Transport SA and that is what he actually said. After he said that I said well the Harrop 2300 is just like a Walkinshaw he said doesn't matter, Walkinshaw or nothing, and referred me to authorised engineers.

I think unless you were able to get that statement on a Transport SA letterhead the bloke you spoke to on the phone was likely talking from his bum.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
20% of 430kw is quite a bit! Just saying.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Holden/HSV are considered the same manufacturer by government departments (also denoted by the vin, 6G1 = General Motors Holden). Legally you can mix and match between them.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
No, you can’t legally put a blower on a Holden SS without engineering certification because of the >20% power increase. It is eligible because of HSV but still needs compliance because it is not how Vehicle was prepared from factory. Haha like to see the copper when you try to explain is ok, actually legal, coz you’ve turned your SS into a W1! Maybe a Chev badge is a get of jail free - tell ‘em is a four door Corvette!
Doesn’t matter who makes the blower or whether component parts are ADR approved. It is a major modification as defined under NCOP. Yes you need to tell insurance, yes you need to have the compliance plate and paperwork on hand at all times.
Interesting thing is that no matter what output gets certified the noise must be same as left the factory.
Of course all Walkinshaw kits come with engineer’s certificate, same noise level as factory o_O else they would be illegal too. Else like everything else the fitter regards compliance and registration the onus of the owner...

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
No, you can’t legally put a blower on a Holden SS without engineering certification because of the >20% power increase. It is eligible because of HSV but still needs compliance because it is not how Vehicle was prepared from factory.
Indeed. Just because HSV's came with blowers doesn't mean installing a blower automatically makes your car an HSV; because you're not running the same tune, not running the same brakes, etc.

It's one of those grey areas that's actually black-and-white.
The black-and-white bit is the fact that it's definitely not legal.
The grey bit is whether you'd be affected by the illegality; your insurer is within their rights to refuse to cover you, but they may still do so. The cop may be looking for anything to nail you with & a canary for an unapproved modification is a nice easy one; but there may be no cop.

Personally, I wouldn't be game, and I'd get the certification.

Note also that some complete kits are engineer certified. I don't know the current offerings, so don't know that any of them are or aren't.
But I do remember for example that when someone bought the rights to the HDT brand-name (late 90's?), they were doing mods that they were getting engineer-approved. I'm pretty sure CSV were doing that too. Although I guess both those mobs were selling complete cars.
However - my point with this comment is that NSW RMS requires you to carry the certificate in the car; so if you've got a kit that's been certified, then it should be possible to get a certificate for your car.

Interesting thing is that no matter what output gets certified the noise must be same as left the factory.
I wasn't aware of that!
So if the rule for your year of car says "85dB at blah blah blah", yet Holden's official documentation says it did "83dB at blah blah blah", to the letter of the law you can no longer have your car generating 85dB at blah blah blah?
[My car's engineered under pre-NCOP rules, most things are the same as they were in NSW 20 years ago but there are still differences like this - my car only had to meet 1979 rules, regardless of whatever Volvo type-certified it with]

Last edited:

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
Having recently gone through this myself, I had my Harrop 2300 install engineered and certified and in turn registered with Vic Roads and my insurance company. The guys at Vic Roads looked at me strangely, implying that I am a rare breed having this paperwork for such a modification.

At the end of the day it comes down to risk management. How likely are you to have an accident and in turn have your insurance company reject your claim and similarly Vic Roads stating your car is not roadworthy and you are up the creek without a paddle for TAC too. For the sake of $2000 I just did it. Not worth having an accident with a Ferrari and your insurance company says sorry not insured go and pay for their repairs........