Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

supercharging a 5L

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
im just chasing sum info on supercharging my vr ss 5 speed manual. what would i have to do to my engine internally to make it charger friendly? and how long would the standard 5 speed last ? and what sort of price would i be looking at to get it done???? thanks

FUN304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
If you want a vortech go to capas website it lists prices.

You can supercharge a standard motor and it would be fine on 10psi depending on the condition of your motor.

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
If you want a vortech go to capas website it lists prices.

You can supercharge a standard motor and it would be fine on 10psi depending on the condition of your motor.

cool well my engine should be A1 mechanical as i had all the seals and gaskets and main bearings replaced and had everythin tidied up and fixed what nedeed fixing and its only done 125 000ks anyway so it should be good 4 it :dance:

I'm not planning on breaking any speed records with it i just want a mild streeter that is fun to jump in and play around with :thumbsup: i was thinking of getting a cam and heads shaved and maybe a different manifold setup?... i would be happy with around 200 rwkw's. but think by spending the same sort of money to do cams and head work i could buy a charger get that little more power and would have the option of sellin the charger seperate if i eva decide to sell the car and maybe get sum money back..... but i will sus out how much these kits r first as i was thinking a 5g budget would be the max i would spend on this car engine wise.........

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
might need to stretch that budget a bit for a decent charger setup.

as said your motor will be fine with the blower and 10psi if its in good condition, the 5 speed will be fine, the clutch mighten last that long but it will do for a while

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
with a standard engine on about 8psi, u will get around 250rwkw, but with alil engine work that will obviously push it up abit...i no a cammed Supercharged VT senator sig 5lt, and its pushing 300kw

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
As lachie said, your gonna need to increase your budget. Even for a 2nd hand kit.

The kit i'm looking at is an Eaton, from MWS in WA. It really depends what your after, top mounts are more expensive, but i hate the look of a side mount, and its way too obvious to the cops.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
with a standard engine on about 8psi, u will get around 250rwkw, but with alil engine work that will obviously push it up abit...i no a cammed Supercharged VT senator sig 5lt, and its pushing 300kw

300rwkw? that must be one hell of a cam. what kind of boost is that runing.

FUN304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
I actually got let off by a cop last night. He picked up too loud, blower, nos, wheels, he knew the motor wasn't standard also. I was able to kind of weazel out of it and left with him saying to get it sorted out and engineered.

I was so lucky

MattyVRss

matty T
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ss
hmmmm yeah im thinking that budget is a lill low after i checked out the capa website :(........ i put a new exceedy h/d clutch in it when all the other work got done so the clutch should be ok ?? would i get a cam and sum head work and maybe a low 2 mid rise manifold with a throttle body on top setup 4 around 5g?? sorry 4 all the questions i will have to go ask around town 4 prices and see what i can come up with..... and make my mind up what i wanna do engine wise lol

FUN304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
300rwkw? that must be one hell of a cam. what kind of boost is that runing.

Back when I had a V2 blower and just a 5L with a cam and YT roller rockers the best I got on 10psi was 270rwkw