Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharging Alloytec

Johnny950

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hey all.

Been looking in to supercharge my VZ and obviously a Raptor kit is best way to go and most likely what I'll end up doing.
But out of curiosity it made me wonder as to why I couldn't just use a M90 off a L67.
It's been discussed on this forum before but most I could find of the limitations was time and effort. Fitting it to the different style heads, fitting it within the 60° block (over l67 being 90°) and fitting the intake pipe at the back for the supercharger.

Anything else I could think of being a problem was lining the belts up which could be sorted with a custom double row pulley. That's even assuming the supercharger hangs far more forward than the rest of everything else. Any added height sorted with a cowl.

But I must have missed something that stops alloytecs from being supercharged via valley mount. Surely if it was a simple case of adapter plate (which is now even easier to CNC machine) it would have been done before right?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Not enough demand so why bother.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Big one is thing is that there is no existing manifold that you could modify to even come close to putting that blower on. The problem with the valley is that it's not very big, the M90 took up all of the top end real estate of the 90° V6, to the point where they had to move the injectors from the intake manifold into the heads because there was so little room. Typically added height is a deal breaker as people don't want to have to cut into body work and essentially make the car instantly defectable any time they pass a cop or an RBT (and it's not like they're going to be able to swap a stock bonnet on to get rid of it).

The other issue here though is that if you if you have to run it higher, where do the injectors go and do you have the ability to fabricate an appropriate fuel rail? Will the super charger and ancillaries be so wide that they hang over the rocker covers? It would be more like a billet block manifold instead of a CNC plate which would be super expensive, not to mention paying somebody to model and design it.

No other 60° engines that are factory roots supercharged spring to mind which might use some other charger that could be adapted, probably for the same reasons.

Effort is definitely an issue as you have to do a lot of R&D to get it to adapt, but there are just to many compromises too. Not to mention the easier alternatives like more compact and far cheaper turbo setups which could have more power or the centrifugal kits. Having said that it would be pretty coll to see what it could do.

Last edited:

Johnny950

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thanks for the write up , well detailed and exactly what I was after.
Certainly not worth the end reward.
Cheers

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Not enough clearance. The intake manifold barely has any clearance between it and the little shelf thing under the hood, which is structural, might I add. Roots and screw blowers are thicc Bois because they also act a bit like a secondary plenum as well as packing in the screws they need to get working. Long story short, there's a reason why centrifugal superchargers are the way to go for this engine... Packaging.

Also, CAPA still makes SC kits for Alloytecs based on Vortech superchargers. You can buy the mounting brackets and bare superchargers from them, but it's just easier to buy the whole thing as a kit.

Goat performance also makes a turbo kit, as does Pro Flow Fabrication.

But to add to get An Eaton M90 sorted, you'd also need to make a rear housing to take the throttle body. Now, in saying that I've made a Throttle Body spacer for my Alloytec, and converting the bolt pattern for an M90 wouldn't be that hard. I'd say with enough work in CAD you could get it to work.

Things you'd need to get machined:

1: HFV6 LIM to Eaton E90 adapter plate
2: Eaton E90 to Alloytec Throttle Body adapter (which would already add a decent amount of height, and would be bloody expensive due to the need of a 5 Axis CNC to make it flow nicely)
3: MAF housing adapter (if you're doing this to an Llt or LFX)

You'd also need:
2Bar MAP Sensor
Saab 2.8t MAF sensor or similar hi flow MAF
Retune
Intercooler and piping (if you want to go that route)
Longer belt (to suit the SC)