Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharging an Ecotec?

SS Stoot

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S Commodore
Hey guys, i'm at the point of nearing getting more serious with my commo. I've spent enough on fixing up the body and just making it driveable, what i'm planning on doing is getting the engine rebuilt and getting it supercharged at the same time. Does anyone recommend a specific charger? I was thinking of a raptor with intercooler and cam to suit, this is on your average L36, or would i be better off getting and L67 donor instead of the L36?

Can the old M35 getrag handle the power even if just driving normally, not dropping the clutch or anything like that. Last but not least, what sort of price figures will i be looking at for the rebuild and average labour price to do all this.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Choice of engine will depend on budget. It will be a lot cheaper to buy a S/C engine and make some improvements to that, like pulley swap, Pacies, tune, and Mace CAI as well as a decent exhaust. Reco engines are exi and a price can vary from $2k to $20k+ depending on how far you go and what you replace and how much of it you do yourself.

SS Stoot

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S Commodore
Thanks mate will take that into consideration

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you're in the north have a chat to Merv Gray in Invermay. He is the cheapest by far on parts and machining costs.