Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supercharging L77 in 2021

Mp64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Hi all, just want to gain some insight on supercharging the L77 and whether there's better options.

Bit out about my SS, it's an Auto (lol) used as a daily (will be a weekend-er soon). Basic mods at the moment, full exhaust, OTR intake and tune (266rwkw).

Now that's out of the way. I've heard mixed thoughts on supercharging the L77. Is it a good option? Or should I just engine swap? LSA perhaps if possible? What are the pros/cons to this? Is there a major price difference? Is it harder?

I'm not chasing super crazy numbers. Looking for somewhere between 400-430rwkw. I'm assuming a cam and a supercharger should get the L77 there if I choose the route of keeping the L77.

I don't want to cheap out tho. So what else should I be looking at to keep the car healthy for as long as possible?

Upgraded brakes?
Upgraded diff (trutrack?)?
Upgraded transmission?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
LSA's go for about 20k from memory. I'm guessing there will be plenty of places that will supercharge your engine for less than 20k

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I love the blower option, mine is just a baby Magnusson 1900 with a smallish cam but the specs are not known to me unfortunately.
Makes 375kw at the tyres and loads of torque.
Definitely need an auto with some work done to it, you can roll with the standard one if you choose to but it will break at some point.
The LSD is another weak spot so would recommend the truetrac, mine is fantastic and you could throw a set of gears at it if you want at the same time, 3:45 is nice IMO in an auto and will sit at a smidge over 2k at 110.
Brakes are a good call but the Brembo or AP option will tear your wallet a new one these days.
Really I guess all of it will tear your wallet a new one actually so may as well just bite the bullet if you’re sold on the idea and do it once.
Good luck on the build.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Not sure why you have heard mixed opinions on supercharging the L77 (unless it is because of the DOD cam and lifters) as the Gen 4 is a fairly strong starting point for a build. I did the same mods as you but did remove the DOD cam and lifters, fitted a Harrop 2300 and then added flex fuel. This did mean that I had to upgrade the fuel system and got 480kw's. The trans is holding in there, fingers crossed, but I do feel that the diff is on borrowed time. Brakes are fine on mine however it does have the Brembo fronts, tyres on the other hand are the weakest link!