Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suping up the aircon

ducatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
hey everyone, the previous owner of my vs ute had all the airconditioning fixed about a year ago. it works and is cool but ive had other cars that were alot cooler than this,

just wondering is there any ways to make it cooler or could i put a better compressor on?

cheers

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
the aircon bloke who fixd mine said that it won;'t be as effective as when it first came out because they're no longer allowed to use the gas it was designed to use because of enviromental reasons....

kinda sucks!

(i care as much for the environment as the environment cares for my commodore!)

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
the aircon bloke who fixd mine said that it won;'t be as effective as when it first came out because they're no longer allowed to use the gas it was designed to use because of enviromental reasons....

kinda sucks!

(i care as much for the environment as the environment cares for my commodore!)

no there probly not lincenced to handle R134a which is the right gas to use, you probly have some other knock off crap that dosnt work.

R134a is still readaly advaible and i use it at work, i am linced to handle it and yes my car is verry cold.

the other thing you might want to try is on the drivers side of your foot well, (centre consol) there is a metal rod the clips on to the heater box un clip it and move it forward than reclip the rod

i got an extra 2 deg c colder doing this.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The ozone friendly gas (R134a) was introduced with VR i.e. also used in VS. With a system designed for it, the A/C will work as well as one designed for the older style refrigerant (R12).

A system low on gas will not work as well as it could => check for leaks and regas.

The condenser in front of the radiator won't work well if blocked with leaves or similar. The air dams around and under the radiator might help a some too (they sometimes get removed => look at other VS to see what should be there).

I guess if you really wanted to improve the performance of an A/C system otherwise working as designed, you could try a water spray on to the condenser :).

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
the other thing you might want to try is on the drivers side of your foot well, (centre consol) there is a metal rod the clips on to the heater box un clip it and move it forward than reclip the rod

Forgot about that. The heater taps are known to leak also.

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
no there probly not lincenced to handle R134a which is the right gas to use, you probly have some other knock off crap that dosnt work.

R134a is still readaly advaible and i use it at work, i am linced to handle it and yes my car is verry cold.

moff man where do you work..?? im looking for somewhere to sort out my air con system, the guy in town here has just been shut down because he didnt have the right license or something.