Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Supplement thread.

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Well thought id start one of the sub categories if thats alright.

i am just about to go to the shops just to have a look around on what supplements i should get. i am mainly after an after work out one and based on what Hamma has advised me on it should be high carbs/protein (ie 50/50 ) hopefully the fitness model girls don't go to hard on me haha.

will be back with my intel later xD

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
ok i am back and the main 3 that one of the girls said seemed to be good for carbs/protein is

Myofusion
monstermilk
dy formass

has any1 had any experience with these three or know any better ones that can be bought through shops?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
ok i am back and the main 3 that one of the girls said seemed to be good for carbs/protein is

Myofusion
monstermilk
dy formass

has any1 had any experience with these three or know any better ones that can be bought through shops?

Post up a link to the products, that way I can see the ingredients/nutritional panel.

When buying supplements there are a few things that you need to have in the back of your mind, rather than just looking at a product on a shelf and buying it.

Fitness supplements and protein powders are marketed heavily on results, and the people who get results out of them are usually ONLY the people that fit them in with a well structured nutrition program. At the end of the day, supplements form part of your nutrition.

Things to consider when buying supplements/protein:

• Nurtitional Content - Quantitiy of Protein/Carbs/Sugar/Salt and other additives are in the product, also the calorie content
  • Price - Is the product 'worth' the price you are paying
  • Is it the right product for you? - What are you hoping to gain from the product, and is it the correct one? (refer to first point)

Complex stuff.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
On the subject, at the moment I only use a WPC formulation.

I get it unflavoured from Protein Powder, Sports Nutrition, Supplements | Professional Whey - specifically, this one: Whey Protein Concentrate from Australia | Professional Whey

Obviously I'm not using it as a meal replacement, I try to eat as much of my nutrition as possible but sometimes I feel I fall short on protein. I use about 50-60g in a shaker with water after my workouts, and that's about it. I've never bothered looking too far into the whole supplements issue, as far as I'm concerned eating right is far more important :).

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Hey Hamma,

i hope this is the right links.

Dy Formass - FORMASS, DY - DORIAN YATES NUTRITION, PROTEIN POWDERS - GAINERS, DY - DORIAN YATES NUTRITION, DY - DORIAN YATES NUTRITION FORMASS
Gaspari Myofusion - MYOFUSION PROBIOTIC, GASPARI, PROTEIN POWDERS, GASPARI, GASPARI MYOFUSION PROBIOTIC
Gaspari Realmass - REAL MASS PROBIOTIC SERIES, GASPARI, PROTEIN POWDERS - GAINERS, GASPARI, GASPARI REAL MASS PROBIOTIC SERIES
Monster Milk - Monster Milk|Protein Powder|Cytosport

What my goal is really (dunno if i am just dreaming or something haha) is a shake that i can have after my work out to rebuild my muscle but also to gain muscle as well (i am not looking to bulk up more to be lean)

thanks

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
If you're trying to be more lean rather than bulk up, then make sure your volume and loads are appropriate for strength and not size. Ie., lift heavy - 1 to 5 reps per set, and you want to fry your nervous system in the process rather than just fatiguing your muscles.

This will promote myofibrillar hypertrophy (which builds density) rather than sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (which builds size).

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Hey Hamma,

i hope this is the right links.

Dy Formass - FORMASS, DY - DORIAN YATES NUTRITION, PROTEIN POWDERS - GAINERS, DY - DORIAN YATES NUTRITION, DY - DORIAN YATES NUTRITION FORMASS
Gaspari Myofusion - MYOFUSION PROBIOTIC, GASPARI, PROTEIN POWDERS, GASPARI, GASPARI MYOFUSION PROBIOTIC
Gaspari Realmass - REAL MASS PROBIOTIC SERIES, GASPARI, PROTEIN POWDERS - GAINERS, GASPARI, GASPARI REAL MASS PROBIOTIC SERIES
Monster Milk - Monster Milk|Protein Powder|Cytosport

What my goal is really (dunno if i am just dreaming or something haha) is a shake that i can have after my work out to rebuild my muscle but also to gain muscle as well (i am not looking to bulk up more to be lean)

thanks

ALL of those proteins are 'Mass Gainers'. They are a primary blend of Protein and Carbs and a few of them have quite a high content of added sugar.

If you want to get/stay lean, a protein powder is only going to work with a structured nutrition program. Ideally, for Post Workout Shakes, I always like them to contain carbs as they help the muscle repair quicker (thanks to Glycogen and insulin spikes etc). But if you're eating alot of carbs throughout the day, then it might not be appropriate.

Now I have confused you, to be safe, you really only want a pure WPI or WPC blend of protein with no carbs in it. Low Calories, high protein, low carbs (lets you eat all your bread and rice/pasta and other carbs throughout the day, as you don't strike me to be one who is very full on into either the training or nutrition side)

Best options are:

Whey Protein Isolate (WPI)

Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC)

https://www.ultimateperformancesupplements.com/shop/ultimate-sustain/

If you're trying to be more lean rather than bulk up, then make sure your volume and loads are appropriate for strength and not size. Ie., lift heavy - 1 to 5 reps per set, and you want to fry your nervous system in the process rather than just fatiguing your muscles.

This will promote myofibrillar hypertrophy (which builds density) rather than sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (which builds size).

Your level of muscular 'leanness' is actually controlled moreso by diet than it is by rep and set manipulation (i.e. 5X5 as opposed to 3X8-12). The 'intensity' of the workout is also more of a contributing factor.

Reading Material: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/07/19/high-reps-vs-low-reps/

Whilst strength training has it's uses, I'm a firm believer in an 8-12 rep range where the weight increases each set so you hit failure within that rep range and then final set again where you can only get out 3-6 reps. This creates sufficient 'afterburn' through continual muscular stimulation at a high weight.

End of the day, if you are not eating a calorie surplus you won't 'bulk up' past noobie gains. If you are not at a calorie deficit, you will not 'lose weight/lean up'.

Body composition is primarily about calories in vs calories out.

Last edited:

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Thanks hamma.

I think i will go with - Whey Protein Isolate (WPI)

Edit: is that a trusted site to buy it from?

Bulk Nutrients is a very trusted, reputable and professional company. I use a number of their products very regularly.

Has my personal guarantee. A few other JC members have subsequently bought from BN and have been impressed also.