Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

supra 5 speed in VH 253

Trav001

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL 3.3 Litre 5 speed, 2002 VY Executive
gday guys looking at getting a supra box to put on my 253 vh, do i need a shortend tailshaft if so does anyone know by how much?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I wouldnt rely on someone elses measurements, after the box is installed do a series of measurements
Total length
measurement of shaft pipe sans uni

make sure you allow 25-30mm for side in and out of the gearbox, best bet is to measure your existing distance between your tailshaft yoke and rear seal and make sure you allow the same on the new tailshaft else you will get some nasty driveline vibrations

cheers
Scott

hdt176

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Ute
if you contact Mal Wood Automotive, he can sell you a conversion kit including the front half of the tailshaft - takes away all the guess work.
I bought a Supra 5 speed conversion kit from him years ago & it all worked & fitted perfect.
It is a bit pricey these days though.

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
I have done this conversion in both a VH and a VN using CRS gear. If you are using a trimatic front shaft with a CRS yoke you do not need to change the length.

Trav001

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the imput guys. I recieved bad news this week. i had a supra box lined up to buy the guy said he'd hold it for me. then when i rang to organise pick up he had sold it to someone else!

So now i could be putting a Ford single rail in instead :p

Trav001

Reaction score
Members Ride
aw that sucks. look at the bright side. now you can save your coin and spend on on a worthwhile mod, i.e. 304+T400 :D

worth while to you, and thats your opinion. :) but no offence i HATE autos. so for me manual is the only option i live in tasmania full of winding roads which are very fun :D , and also it's too common, i chose a 253 beacause it's all there and payed for long ago. fit's with making a ADP group 1 or 2. if i was going to go bigger i'd go to a 308 so it could be a group 3. which all i need is block and pistons :).

thanks for your input anyway