Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Surface rust on an exhaust?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Sourced a hsv system finally that's been in a garage for a while, what can I clean it up with and is there any issue with a bit of surface rust inside?

Attachments

• IMG_4685.jpg
    IMG_4685.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_4687.jpg
    IMG_4687.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_4686.jpg
    IMG_4686.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_4688.jpg
    IMG_4688.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 235

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Autosol metal polish will clean it up really well
I've got a stainless steel catback on my VZ 1 Tonner and I noticed there was some surface rust on the rear muffler....Gave it a quick rub with some Autosol and when I wiped it off it was shining like it was brand new again

A little bit of surface rust internally isn't going to cause any issues

Last edited:

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Thanks for the help will give the midpipes a quick clean and chuck it on.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The outlets on the rear cans will likely cause a fitment issue.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Yes have read that the hsv rear muffler doenst work with the ss bar and that the ss muffler sounds better anyway. Wonder if there is any internal difference as the hsv muffler is 2.25" on the intake. There fairly rattly anyway.

Rust is a little worse than I thought on the ends so will take to it with a wirebrush as well and hopefully reuse all the bolts and gaskets on the stock system. Inside looks fine though.

Maybe put some rust prime on joins as well to keep it at bay.

Attachments

• 20190106_175651.jpg
    20190106_175651.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 164

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
Scotch brite with wd40 will clean up the pipework nicely. What I used on the exact same pipes.
Flanges are mild steel they'll keep on rusting without paint / coating

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Update, so mild steel flanges were pretty average, so after 10 hours of flappydisk, wirebrush, hydrochloric acid and now phosphoric acid I am at this point.

Midpipes will be ready today and hopefully on, going to clean up Hsv mufflers for resell or to sit with stock exhaust.

Cats were the worst due to the rust getting in the mesh conatruction on the flanges, literally falling off after 10 hours of hcl acid bath.

Bought some metal polish and clear coat high heat spray to seal but can't decide which to use, probably the spray.

Anyone else wants to remove rust, hydro acid is cheap and works really well without much labour but metal will flash rust after drying. Phosphoric acid is apparently better but harder to fund especially concentrated. Grinding the flanges with a 60 grit flappy probably saved heaps of CID waiting time but is labour intensive as with the wire rushing which is pointless unless your at end polishing stage.

Why? The more I kept going the more I wanted to eliminate rust and see if polishing and sealing was possible. Wanted to acid wash concrete as well to paint so had a perfect spot to do it.

The Acid is hazardous so be careful and do at own risk.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Anyone recommend a trolley jack that can lift around 500mm+?

Got some ramps but concrete is too slippery to reverse up probably because the tray is empty.

So gonna jack it up on ramps if I can then lift the front onto jack stands and put some sort of support at the front as well.