Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

surges and just stays alive

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
very rich. too rich. i seem to be losing a bit of fluids on my garage floor but not sure if thats the same problem.

also as u mentioned coolant, my car seem to spray drops of coolant all over my air box and stuff. not much just few drops. coolant level is fine but. could that have anything to do with it?

well being so rich it can be a mixture of either or both the coolant temp sensor and the IAC valve but seeing you have done the iac already its possibly flooding when its cold as its needed for the computer to decide what is needed to keep running at what temp

mine runs a little rich on petrol but i dont mind so much as i run gas more than petrol and id advise finding where the coolant is coming from to be able to spray all over it cant be good

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
very rich is mormally dead ecu coolant system or vacuam hose for the fuel reg leaking fuel into the inlet

MickT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Here is my DFI. Hows it look to you?

Attachments

• Image000.jpg
    Image000.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 101

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Here is my DFI. Hows it look to you?

well its had some sort of fluid over it looking at the pic id bet that the seal has been broken at some stage id almost bet its partially burnt out if its the original the seals on the dfi tend to let go get some moisture in there and well you can guess what happens next

it also looks to have a dent near the second coil arrangement thats bad to

did you check the underside of the coils them selves for cracks ?

MickT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeh all coils are good, no cracks. Your right about the DFI looks like some sort of fluid was on it and the seal on one side is higher then the other side.

MickT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
have you considered the TPS. a dodgy TPS can make the engine surge and possibly stall. my new(but used) TPS did this to me yesterday. swapped back to the old TPS and better for now but back to my old problems:bang:

I put a brand new one on just lately, so it shouldnt be that.

MickT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Should i or could i open it any further to check the inside and re-seal it?

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Should i or could i open it any further to check the inside and re-seal it?

i wouldn't but you can try it might be interesting what damage has occurred just carefully run a Stanly knife around the edges (thats how i inspected mine) then carefully remove the top cover of the dfi then to reseal plaster it in a good silicon after you replace the cap wait to dry (i do the silicone trick even if i dont open it to make sure the seal is good so i dont haveto replace it any time soon) post pics :thumbsup:

MickT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Ok sounds good, ill get to it now. Thanks matey:thumbsup: