Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

surging after putting a new exhaust on

secretive

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx 2001 supercharged commodore
Hi guys, I know nothing about cars but i know i like how they sound :) My muffler shat itself so i decided to put a new exhaust on 2.5" catback on it yesterday and since getting it on the car is aurging when i am coasting, it's fine when it idles and under acceleration it only happens when i'm at speed and take my foot off the accelerator and coast, i took it back to the exhaust joint and the guy said it just needs time for the computer to recognise the greater airflow as its no longer choking does this sound right or is he pulling my leg? All help greatly appreciated Thanks, oh btw its a vx v6 supercharged...don't know if that makes a difference....

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yeah hes pulling your leg. Check all the hoses and connections in or near where you worked.

K Lewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 1997 VT S Pack; 5 Spd Man
You need to reset the ECU.
Once you have installed an exhaust system, it doesnt automatically change. Contact Tenneco (Walker/Lukey) exhaust. Or go to like Autobarn or Supercheap Auto and they will have a lukey exhaust catalouge, and there is TECH TIPS. It explains how to reset ECU once you have fitted an exhaust.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
You will find it is the deceleration mode. When you take your foot off the accelerator it is the ECU's way of keeping the engine running when there is no throttle being applied and saving fuel and emissions at the same time. Your car has done this since day 1, but you have only noticed it because it is now audible with the louder exhaust.
With our L67 VX, you can actually watch this when I have the real time computer plugged in.
I can get to 100KPH and lift off the throttle, the revs will drop to about 1100RPM and then fluctuate by a couple hundred rpm. I can see it on the gauge screen (real time system) but can only just see a fraction of movement on the dash tachometer. We currently have a stock exhaust, so I can't hear it happening in the car.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Did you put the O2 sensor back in and connect it?

Its 2 x O2 sensors on the VX and there should be no reason to remove them when doing a cat back system.
One would also think that if it were left out you would be able to hear it straight away.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The VX PCM doesn't need to be reset. They don't learn or relearn anything, they compensate. When reset it only goes back to factory defaults and then starts compensating all over again.

Resetting earlier PCMS resets the TPS too, this can cause rough running and erratic idle, but not on the VX.

secretive

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx 2001 supercharged commodore
I have no idea what was done to it because it got done by my local exhaust place i dropped it off worked fine picked it up drove it and it done this, i figured they should have to fix the problem seen as it didn't happen before it went in but they keep saying that the computer just needs time to relearn the new flow from the exhaust....sounds weird to me thats why i thought i'd ask on here coz u guys seem pretty clued up :)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Its 2 x O2 sensors on the VX and there should be no reason to remove them when doing a cat back system.
One would also think that if it were left out you would be able to hear it straight away.

I didn't realise the 6cyl's had two as well, my bad.

If he didn't clip one in properly, it'll drive like a dog and not necisarily throw a code. (Learned that the hardway too lol)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
i figured they should have to fix the problem seen as it didn't happen before it went in but they keep saying that the computer just needs time to relearn the new flow from the exhaust....sounds weird to me thats why i thought i'd ask on here coz u guys seem pretty clued up :)

Changing something on a car from standard to something else will usually make the car behave differently. It's not necessarily a fault, just different. Just because you have never felt this before doesn't mean it wasn't doing it, it just wasn't noticeable. Now it is.