Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Surrond sound issue

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ok guys need some help as I think I have something wired wrong. Surround sound works fine with DVD's but not when watching TV/Foxtel. I have the surround sound/dvd running with a HDMI cable and optical sound to the TV and the foxtel is running a component cable........any thoughts why surround aint working? It runs in stereo fine (front speakers working) just not surround.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
so from foxtel to amp is just the red and white rca audio leads? or is the component/audio running into tv then through hdmi into amp? if its from foxtel>tv>amp change it to foxtel>amp and give it a go,

what type of audio reciever do you have, does it say anything on the screen when you press dolby digital?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Amp to TV is HDMI and optical audio cable
Foxtel to TV is component.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
check setting for audio out put on tv and try plugging audio from foxtel directly into back of the amp,

what sort of amp are you running?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Amp is LG one, combinned with DVD player. Foxtel audtio cable won't reach to the amp as its a single component cable that branches to the 5 at the end.
LG Home Theatre System?HT903WA - LG Australia official site

hmm, im thinking maybe the tv isnt outputting in digital as such, go through the audio setting make sure output settings are set to digital or dolby etc, mpeg might only be 2ch

even if you disconnect the video as well and just run audio into the amp, it might give you an indication whether its the tv foxtel or even tv,, if the leads are hard to get to try a mp3 player if you have the 3.5mm plug into 2x rcas,

i take it you are pressing dolby digital etc on the amps remote

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
hmm, im thinking maybe the tv isnt outputting in digital as such, go through the audio setting make sure output settings are set to digital or dolby etc, mpeg might only be 2ch

even if you disconnect the video as well and just run audio into the amp, it might give you an indication whether its the tv foxtel or even tv,, if the leads are hard to get to try a mp3 player if you have the 3.5mm plug into 2x rcas,

i take it you are pressing dolby digital etc on the amps remote
Had a look in the TV settings and changed to Dolby Digital so see what happens.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Still no good, i'll have a look at the wiring tomorrow.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
So you are trying to output the audio from your Foxtel into your TV, then trying to passthrough the audio from the TV to the surround sound to get 5.1?

Like in the attached picture?

If so, this may not work. See, some TV's, although having a digital optical output, can only output 2.0 PCM sound. This is a hardware limitation; the only way to get around it is to plug the Foxtel video cables into the TV, and the Foxtel audio cables into your surround sound, assuming it has appropriate inputs.

However, if you simply connect up the standard red and white audio cables, you will never, ever get 5.1 - maybe just DD Pro Logic or Pro Logic II. Hook it up via the optical and you should get 5.1, assuming your Foxtel box can do 5.1.