Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Suspect ignition? (starting)

camer0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Vacationer
So I have googled and checked several forums with no luck.
The battery is new, dizzy replaced and all new HT leads

Last week my VL was running well. I got home one evening and took the battery out to put in my other car for some trouble shooting. Issues began when I put the battery back in the VL.

Will not start. I tried to start it and it clicked intermittently (not fast like a dead battery completely random clicks). I checked the volts and was running 13.5, replaced the negative terminal as it had bad corrosion. Still clicking the same.
tapped starter motor with a hammer and checked current over starter which is all fine, still wont start.
I managed to get it to start by turning the ignition to the on position, put jumper leads on the battery, removed the positive lead off the starter motor and it fired. I took it for a short drive (it stalled when I came to a stop). I can keep it running with the revs up and sometimes it wont stall.
Oh and I tried again today, now it doesn't click at all but can still be started by shorting the starter motor terminals

So I suspect a faulty ignition contact or wire? I would like to get suggestions before spending the money on it.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thoroughly clean with sandpaper, emery cloth, file, cleaning tool etc, the outer of both battery terminals and inside of battery clamps as well as connections to starter and maybe even alternator, then try again.

It may be as you said, a faulty ignition wire, or switch, but the fact that all you have done is remove/refit battery points to connections/terminals unless you shorted something out in the process.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Check all your fuses and relays too, maybe one of those shorted out. But yeah as Rambo said, I once had a starting problem with my old S13 silvia, I'd turn the key, it'd click once and then nothing, no cranking or anything, was as if the battery wasn't even there. I'd wiggle the terminals and it would click again and all my stereo, clock etc had been reset as if the battery had been unplugged then reconnected.

Turns out my negative battery lead terminal/plug thing had a crack in it, and that was causing it to not clamp down onto the battery properly when tightened, nothing a small piece of wire wrapped around the crack couldn't fix, but after I repaired it, I had no more starting trouble.

So yeah, check your battery lead plugs and the actual battery terminals on the battery and give them a real good clean and sand, could be the problem. If not, then I'd start looking at the electrical side of it.

camer0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Vacationer
Thoroughly clean with sandpaper, emery cloth, file, cleaning tool etc, the outer of both battery terminals and inside of battery clamps as well as connections to starter and maybe even alternator, then try again.

Spot on mate. Sanded the terminals on the starter terminals and every other contact earthed to it. Put the battery back in and fired up sweet as. Cheers for the help

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
So I have googled and checked several forums with no luck.

Spot on mate. Sanded the terminals on the starter terminals and every other contact earthed to it. Put the battery back in and fired up sweet as. Cheers for the help

That's why JC is the number 1 forum to come to lol

Unless you're looking for info on non holden cars I guess